Gear and brake cables

hector88
hector88 Posts: 44
edited May 2015 in Workshop
I think it's time to replace these on my bike. I have Shimano 6700 gears and brakes. Are all cables equal or are there certain sets I should look for/avoid? Do I need two sets of each (front + rear derailleurs & front + rear brakes?)

My cables are externally routed, FWIW.

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Just go for the normal Shimano ones from the shop - each packet comes with 2x cables and 2x outers.

I made the mistake of splurging large on Gore Pro cables a few years ago and find them no better than the standard Shimano ones I now use on everything and far more expensive.

Just make sure you put the long lengths on the back and the short lengths on eth front.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • hector88
    Just go for the normal Shimano ones from the shop - each packet comes with 2x cables and 2x outers.

I made the mistake of splurging large on Gore Pro cables a few years ago and find them no better than the standard Shimano ones I now use on everything and far more expensive.

Just make sure you put the long lengths on the back and the short lengths on eth front.

Thanks for the reply - do you mean these ones?

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... himcabg428
  • If you are replacing brake and gear cables, make sure you use the right type for each. Gear cables are typically 1.2mm and brake cables 1.6mm thick.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,766
    If you are replacing brake and gear cables, make sure you use the right type for each. Gear cables are typically 1.2mm and brake cables 1.6mm thick.
    Brake cables have spiral windings to resist the outward pressures which result from high cable tension around curved cable runs (the cable is always trying to cut the corner, as it were). Look for spiral winding around the outer.

Gear cables are compressionless, for precise shifting. Look for wires running along the housing. They don't have to withstand high cable tension. Use one of these on your brakes, and it will split.

I've never found much difference between brands, functionally, but I'd recommend a set with these in them;

734450147_o.jpg

I've found they help to stop crap getting into the cable housings, so avoiding corrosion in there and resulting sticky movement. Ooo-eerr.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    hector88 wrote:

Just make sure you put the long lengths on the back and the short lengths on the front.

Yup - that's your baby. Set of them for brakes and gears and jobs a fish.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • hector88
    hector88 wrote:

Just make sure you put the long lengths on the back and the short lengths on the front.

Yup - that's your baby. Set of them for brakes and gears and jobs a fish.

brilliant, thanks.
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    shimano SP-41 outer (internally greased) and PTFE coated inners all the way for smoother, easier shifting.
    chain reaction have XTR gear cable sets for £11.99 at the moment (same as road but with the rubber parts someone mentioned above)