on-one 456ss vs whyte 901

imsimon
imsimon Posts: 181
edited May 2015 in MTB buying advice
yep maybe a strange comparison but....
ive very recently finished building a lovely looking (IMO) on-one 456 summerseason. ive also just managed to land a whyte 901 frameset which is a 2014 which by my reckoning is a 650b.

I just wondered if anyone has experience riding both frames and could provide a comparison, It is going to cost me a fair bit to get the whyte into a decent bike but I know I could sell the 456 to finance this.

any input appreciated

Comments

• passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Not quite but close - I've had a regular Inbred and now have a Whyte 905. Both great but the Whyte was noticeably lighter & still comfortable. I think the 456 is stiffer than the regular inbred. Had a few bikes since I started MTB'ing in1988 (with some bing gaps within that time) but the 2 best riding bikes I've had is 1991 Gary Fisher and my current 2012 Whyte 905. I'd build up the Whyte.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • imsimon
    passout wrote:
    Not quite but close - I've had a regular Inbred and now have a Whyte 905. Both great but the Whyte was noticeably lighter & still comfortable. I think the 456 is stiffer than the regular inbred. Had a few bikes since I started MTB'ing in1988 (with some bing gaps within that time) but the 2 best riding bikes I've had is 1991 Gary Fisher and my current 2012 Whyte 905. I'd build up the Whyte.

thank you, I think if I can afford it I will build up the whyte and see which I like best and then sell the other one, think the mrs will be pleased to have a 5th bike in the garage :|
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Won't a lot of the stuff off the 456 fit the Whyte? You could even run 26" wheels in the interim as it would only lower the BB by 1/2" compared to spec, less if you have larger volume rubber.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • imsimon
    The Rookie wrote:
    Won't a lot of the stuff off the 456 fit the Whyte? You could even run 26" wheels in the interim as it would only lower the BB by 1/2" compared to spec, less if you have larger volume rubber.

turns out its a 26"frame so everything will fit other than the wheels as the front is qr and the new forks are 15mm

thanks for all your inputs
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Excellent, my Whyte is 26'' too - it's the future!
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.