Cube Agree GTC Di2 - Bargain?

craigus89
craigus89 Posts: 887
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
Looking for some opinion on these, they have a few at the Bike Shed in Exeter for £1,499 down from £2,799 which frankly seems too good to be true.

http://www.bikesheduk.com/bikes/road-bi ... mpact-2013

Does anyone own one or know someone who does? That price for Carbon and full Ultegra Di2 seems like an obvious decision really.

Thanks.

Comments

• trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Definitely looks like a bargain but be aware that 10 speed Ultegra 6770 Di2 is no longer supported by Shimano. So spares like derailleurs are becoming harder to source unless you buy used. As the system uses E-tube you can upgrade to 11 speed if you buy the 6870 front and rear derailleurs then upgrade the firmware. That would mean also buying a 11 speed chain and cassette. And the wheels would need an 11 speed compatible freehub (if available) . The wheels supplied are 10 speed.
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    Thanks for the warning.

Won't this always be the case with Di2 though, as new ones come out the old will eventually stop being made? Or is it just a bigger deal becasue of the cost of a Di2 derailleur compared to mechanical?
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Craigus89 wrote:
    Thanks for the warning.

Won't this always be the case with Di2 though, as new ones come out the old will eventually stop being made? Or is it just a bigger deal becasue of the cost of a Di2 derailleur compared to mechanical?

Probably. Who knows. Depends what Shimano's next move is.

The problem lies with moving the system from 10 to 11 speed. If they move to 12 speed or a different system to E-tube then we could have the same problems all over again. If they stick with 11 speed things may change, and more options for spares might be available in the long run.

The way the system is currently designed, if you are still using 6770 and you break a derailluer and you cannot source the same model. They are forcing you to upgrade to 11 speed. You have to buy a new rear AND front Di2 derailleur,chain,cassette,freehub (if needed ) or new wheels (because Shimano do not sell 11spd freehubs for their old wheels). Its all one big cash cow. So you are paying more than you really should need to,to fix a problem. They should let people have more freedom with the equipment that they buy. A more logical and flexible system would just require a new rear derailleur that is cross compatible on old,current and future Di2 systems and customisable via software.

How long can they keep abandoning old customers before losing new ones ?
  • adey8ball
    adey8ball Posts: 25
    bought mine from bike shed Exeter and am incredibly happy with mine. i bought mine February last year when they were reduced to 1899. excellent bike. yes it's 6770 di2 but i have not had any trouble with mine.
  • deeptheory
    deeptheory Posts: 76
    I've a Trek Madone 2013 4.9 which was Ultegra 6770 Di2.

This was an all year round bike and has done over 16,000 miles however the second rear derailleur gave up a few weeks ago. I couldn't source a new one even at a sensible price so i bit the bullet and I've put 105 on it, ordered a new summer bike and leaving this as a winter bike.

A few were kicking around on eBay (where I've just sold the shifters and battery indicator at a great price) but i didn't fancy taking the risk on a used part.

Just a thought.

However, di2, yes and i wouldn't of dreamed of ordering a new bike without it especially after having done a a few hundred miles with the 105.