First track bike

gsk82
gsk82 Posts: 3,570
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
I've just done my first session at the York outdoor velodrome having previously had a few sessions at other velodromes. If i keep enjoying it as much i'll be looking for a track bike in the next couple of months but don't know what is important in a track bike.

So does anyone have any tips? Should i be looking at carbon or aluminium? Are tubs the way to go? Will deep sections make a big difference? Is the Planet X pro carbon a bargain?

I don't really have a budget in mind at the minute other than under £1,000. I's just like some general advice so when i'm ready to buy i'm not doing it blind.

Cheers
"Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Outdoor tracks - regular road tyres will be fine. Geometry and set-up is more an issue with indoor tracks with tighter bends and steep banking. Suggest you look at Terry Dolan as well as Planet-X - the Planet-X Pro looks about as much as you'd want from a track bike for £900.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • MCox432
    MCox432 Posts: 12
    giant omnium is a good bike to consider. £1000 comes with about 45mm wheels and it is unlike all other giant bikes and has a normal sized steerer