What's that flex?

raldat
raldat Posts: 242
edited May 2015 in Workshop
Hi All, new to this forum (been over at the mountain bike one) and new to road biking. Bought a 2011 trek 1.5 the other day and did a quick refurb on it, giving it a pull down and degrease of bearings, bolts etc, plus renewing the drive train and replacing the worn out original wheels for a set of Shimano r501s. Did this for some nice baseline training and to mix the riding up a bit.

Anyhow, love the bike but here is the question. When riding in the drops it seems like I can feel some side to side flex comming from somewhere. I can't perceive that at all when on the hoods even when working up a climb. It's not annoying especially or worrying, but I was wondering is this normal and where might it be coming from. Any opinions or comments appreciated.

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    In 40 years I 've never had a bike that did'nt flex sideways.
    Some more, some less.
    Materials can only take loads by deforming....
  • raldat
    raldat Posts: 242
    Thanks for that. You may well be right, it is just an interesting sensation as I have never felt it before. My Canyon 29er hard tail has some fore aft flex in the reba forks but not side to side. Like I said, I am not concerned, just curious as I love to learn.
    Thanks for replying.