Hybrid buying advice £500ish spend

Hammy1980
Hammy1980 Posts: 14
edited May 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hello all,

I'm looking to buy a new hybrid because my Pinnacle Lithium 2 has been deemed beyound economical repair.
Although slightly annoyed by this, because it's only 2 years old and I have it serviced regularly. I'm keen to find something a little lighter and hopefully with less wearable componants. (does such a thing exist?)

I'd rather shop from an Evans or Cycle surgery as they are both on my daily commute.

I'm after a hybrid because i commute a lot but also do the NCN Trails.

Any advice is greatly received.

Many Thanks

Paul

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not sure any bike is ever beyond economical repair as with relatively cheap repairs and with the frames lasting just about forever it's always worth repairing as it's certainly cheaper than a new bike every 2 years.

What needs replacing, how many miles has it done?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    Who has deemed it uneconomical to repair and why?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My bet is that Evans have come up with a repair cost that they have then said is more than the bike is worth and look you can buy this nice new bike here......

Most parts on my commuter were bought used, most of those have done 4000miles, I've just had to replace the cassette (£15) as the new chain (one about every two years as the road salt gets to it in the end) was skipping, that was about the same price, the shifter has worn (rubber part of a gripshift) and a service part to fix cost a tenner, so that's a total of £40 every 4000 miles plus tyres.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    If it's beyond economical repair I'll give you £20 for it

Let us know what's wrong with it.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Sometimes it can be cheaper to e-bay your used bike & then buying another one, than it is to reapir one - especially if you are paying someoneelse to do it. However at 2 yrs old and serviced regularly, I find this very surprising - I'd get a second opinion. What repairs are needed?
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Hammy1980
    Hammy1980 Posts: 14
    Hi all,

Thanks for the advice. In the end I took it to my local independent bike shop.

Seeing as Evans quoted £460 + to repair / make my bike road worthy or simply "buy a new bike". I thought it was worth getting a second (less manipulative) opinion.

So I took it to Skinny Eric's in Hackney Wick: THEY WERE AMAZING.

My bike has now had a complete overhaul for a paltry £230.

They replaced the Crank, Rear Mech, Brake pads, ALL cables (evans didn't even quote for that), Bottom bracket, chain and casette. Not to mention fixing the head set and wheel hubs that Evans quoted as being "beyond repair"

Initially, I probably could have gotten away with just having the casette and chain done as a temporary solution to get it back on the road but given the fact that they weren't pushy and made logical fair suggestions, I was happy to say "sort the lot out"

They even had to take an angle grinder to the old crank where Evans had f'ed up the installation of the last bottom bracket (which never felt right after)

They also Trued the wheels and cleaned the whole bike - Tires and all! This was customer service above and beyond! The bike rides like a dream and in essence i feel like i did buy a new bike but for £230!

I cannot reccomend Skinny Eric's enough. Lovely bunch of guys too. If you're living East side of London I'd urge you to consider them.

So pleased

Ham
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    You were wise to seek a second opinion and have found a good independent LBS into the bargain.