Hardshell or Alpha?

northpole
northpole Posts: 1,499
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
I have the delightful prospect of the Tour de Yorkshire sportive this Sunday, along with a grim looking weather forecast of heavy periods of rain. Although temperatures aren't going to be too bad, I reckon it could be very easy to get cold with the wet.

Any opinions as to which would be more suitable top layer most welcome - Rapha Hardshell or Castelli Alpha Jacket, together with most appropriate layering beneath to avoid a boil in the bag experience! I have both jackets but have diligently avoided having to find out which would perform better on a hilly long potentially wet ride. I don't have the luxury of dodging the bullet again this Sunday!

Peter

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    The hardshell in May seems a bit extreme... :shock:

I have the Etape du Dales in 2 weeks and if the forecast is bad, I'll just wear a long sleeves merino, a long sleeve spring jersey and carry a water/windproof folded in the rear pocket.
    left the forum March 2023
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Way too warm for Hardshell now, great as it is. For me that's a winter jacket. For snow and heavy rain with a thickish base layer.

Alpha would be a good bet. You may get warm, it's surprisingly good in the rain. If you already own it, use it.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Where do you people live?
    I wore my alpha yesterday and almost froze to death even on the return journey at 7pm, it was -1 at 6am how is that too warm?

Cold + wind = very cold add rain well ...

Take both IMO
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • antlaff
    antlaff Posts: 583
    itboffin wrote:
    Where do you people live?
    I wore my alpha yesterday and almost froze to death even on the return journey at 7pm, it was -1 at 6am how is that too warm?

Cold + wind = very cold add rain well ...

Take both IMO

Me too, wore my Hardshell twice this week!!
  • northpole
    Thanks for your comments all. I do think it sounds a bit mad suggesting a hard shell this time of year, but the weather forecast seems to be getting worse on the Beeb if anything. Temperatures are to go from 7 to 12 celsius however that is to be accompanied by heavy rain and strong winds which I suspect will make it feel very different. I'm not sure how waterproof an Alpha jacket would be in those conditions. If I hadn't committed to a friend to drive up together I suspect the best option for me would be to stay at home!

Peter
  • bendertherobot
    I've not worn anything other than a Torm long sleeve this week, soft shandy drinking northerners.

Anyway, it's not too cold tomorrow. But, that rain first thing, good luck. Is it too late to get Assos Sturmprinz and matching waterproof knicks?
  • amack
    amack Posts: 70
    I love my Hardshell, had to choose between it and the Alpha this winter. Chose the Hardshell but I'll get the Alpha jersey when it comes out for next season for those dry cold days. The Hardshell above 6° with a warm base layer is too warm warm for me, it's a more traditional jacket compared to the high tech Alpha. For this time of year I'd love to have an Alpha Jersey as there are mornings when the Gabba isn't really warm enough. But it's definitely not cold enough to wear a Hardshell I find when the sun is shining you start to boil, it really excels on those cold,wet, no sun days, glad I bought it but will add the Alpha to my wardrobe next winter.
  • Only in England in May would someone consider wearing a winter hardshell....

Surely a good base layer with a gabba type jersey would be more than sufficient unless you weren't planning on riding above 5mph for 4+ hours.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • src1
    src1 Posts: 301
    I'm doing a 100 mile steady group ride on Sunday, forecast is 6 degrees c and 40mph winds, so similar dilemma. I think I'll go with the hard shell, but unsure what to wear under it... Alternative for me is a lightweight waterproof shell over long sleeve Jersey. Decisions, decisons...
  • bendertherobot
    6 degrees where? Should be 14-15 in mid UK by 11am
  • src1
    6 degrees where? Should be 14-15 in mid UK by 11am

Starting north of Edinburgh and finishing at Berwick upon Tweed. If it is 11 degrees, it'll make the decision easier. the hardshell is new, so perhaps not the time to try it out. .
  • bendertherobot
    Ah, Scotland tomorrow. That's easy. Hardshell. :D
  • northpole
    The Alpha Jacket is superb for cold weather - I easily get away with either short or long sleeve merino base layer in wintery weather. It's the rain that's throwing me off the scent as to best compromise. My ride start time is 7:40 tomorrow morning when it will be 6-7 Celsius plus chill factor of a stiff east wind will make it feel colder.

Peter
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    The Alpha Jersey is definitely worth investing in. I wore it this morning and was plenty warm enough in south Wales temperatures. In the week I wore Assos Intermediate S7 and was slightly too cold so Alpha came back out and it feels great plus regulates brilliantly.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    I wouldn't dress for the temperatures at the beginning of a ride. when it warms up, you'll spend the rest of the day sweating and cursing your choice to overdress.

in those conditions, I would wear mid weight long sleeve base layer with an Alpha Jersey. They perform fine in the wet (not sure about 6 hours of wet though). So in the OP's case, the Alpha Jacket would be the choice. Don't forget the neoprene gloves if you have them.
  • src1
    I think that's the coldest I've ever been on a bike. Went with a taped 'waterproof' gore-tex jacket as I thought I'd be too warm in the hardshell. Wish I'd worn the hardshell.

I think the gore 'waterproof' gloves that cost me about £45 kept my hands dry for about 15 mins.
  • rudivoller22
    rudivoller22 Posts: 492
    SRC1 wrote:
    I think that's the coldest I've ever been on a bike. Went with a taped 'waterproof' gore-tex jacket as I thought I'd be too warm in the hardshell. Wish I'd worn the hardshell.

I think the gore 'waterproof' gloves that cost me about £45 kept my hands dry for about 15 mins.

Yep the TdY sportive was pretty brutal. Was impressed with the castelli Muur. Keep me warm and dry. Unfortunately the rest of me was soaked and freezing! Great support though despite the horrible weather. Typically it brightened up as I finished!!
  • northpole
    Well that was an interesting experience today. Boy did it rain! I ended up with hardshell, short sleeve base layer, castelli nano flex arm warmers and, by complete mistake, I left on a long sleeve merino wool jersey beneath the hardshell. On a positive note, I wasn't cold! When the sun came out for a while near the end, I was cooked! Very challenging day in the saddle for me as training is at least a month behind where it should be. Consolation was not having to walk up any of the hills - hardly something to shout about!! Several people commented on their Garmins playing up - mine included - after completing the long course, my Garmin had recorded total climb ascent of 1,300m instead of more than double that which I think is the true total climb.

Peter
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Glad you made it round ok.

Re the Garmin, it is completely normal when it rains for the altitude readings to go haywire. the hole where the sensor is gets blocked with water and it stops working properly. You obviously don't ride in wet weather very often!
  • northpole
    Thanks robbo

You are absolutely correct - I NEVER willingly ride in the rain!! And yesterday provided confirmation why that is! Also confirmed that there is no such thing as waterproof other than possibly my skin and I even have doubts about that!

I didn't know about the sensor - clearly there is a mixture of knowledge on this as I looked on strava at some of the other folks' rides, many of which were accurate on ascents and many were like mine showing only about half the climb - the actual ride distance all seemed pretty consistent. Must have a look where the sensor is - IF I'm ever out in the rain again!!

Peter