Off-roady hybrid or full MTB?

WastedJoker
WastedJoker Posts: 10
edited May 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

First let me apologise if I'm in the wrong forum!

I'm looking for a hybrid bike which is more suited to off-road than road cycling.

My previous hybrid, a Boardman Hybrid Comp, was great on the roads but the narrowness of the forks meant making it more off-roady was limited and ultimately did not feel sufficiently robust for the trails/railway lines I was using. Additionally, I'm did not like cycling on the dual carriageway on my commute and the alternative route is a bit more rugged so ideally I want something more capable of off-roading whilst still offering a decent compromise for the roads I will be using.

My budget is £500.

I'm a little bit torn on what to look for, if I'm being honest.

Are there hybrids which are more suited to off-roading than others? I assume the best way to "filter" these is to look for bikes advertised with 27.5" wheels rather than 700c?

If I have to go for a MTB, would it be better to go for a fixed frame or one with front suspension?

Comments

• esa2
    esa2 Posts: 44
    To be honest you wont be doing much off roady stuff on a hybrid. Ive got a Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc which is generally fine for paths through the local woods but you wont get far going off them. Can also be a bit of a struggle getting up the steeper part of those paths. That prompted me to get an MTB aswell for a bit of fun off the roads and paths. The MTB isnt great riding on road for any great distance though.

Luckily Ive got the best of both worlds having 2 bikes but if i had to choose Id probably go for the MTB but choose my tyres wisely. I wouldnt consider a fixed fork MTB either
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have a look at the Voodoo Marasa at Halfords, effectively a rigid 29er, comes with some fairly heavy all purpose (and pretty puncture resistant) tyres but can be switched to anything from 32mm road tyres for fast road use to some MTB tyres for off road (which is what my nephew does on his).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Get an XC rigid or hardtail (with lockout) 29er. With the right tyre choice it will be pretty fast on road (assuming thats why you wanted a hybrid). I'd go rigid.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.