Custom Chinese Ti

rowlers
rowlers Posts: 1,614
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
I'm considering having a Titanium frame built by Waltly. I getting it built to match the Ritchey Road Logic Geometry, but with a tapered head tube and internal cabling.
So firstly anyone with any experience with dealing with Waltly (Amy)? So far she has been great.
What should I watch out for? Tips, advice?
Also what Fork would be best paired with this? There doesn't appear to be a great lot of choice.
thanks all

Comments

• tomisitt
    tomisitt Posts: 257
    Do a search of the forums...MontyDog has posted plenty of stuff on this
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    http://www.spanner.org.uk/ has lots of custom Chinese bikes, including one of mine (29+).
    I've bought 6 frames over the last 10 years or so - 4 for me and 2 for others
    My latest is a custom fatbike for 5" tyres - it's the mutts do-dahs:
    VWKmrPYm.jpg
    Sub-25lbs trail-monster that eats full-sussers for breakfast :D
    I really like the fact you can create something truly unique - really pleased with the service and quality of Waltly TItanium - the custom ti fatbike frame was cheaper than a heavier, steel stock frame from the US.
    I'd probably go with an open-mould Chinese road frame these days as they are so good, but for CX/gravel/adventure/touring and MTB I like the durability of titanium, the fact that I can tweak the geometry exactly as I want is a bonus e.g. most MTB frames come with suspension corrected geometry - I'm old school and prefer a shorter, rigid fork and lower front end when running big rubber.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rowlers
    Thanks for the replies folks,
    Amy is "designing" my frame and I'm waiting for a reply back. Quoted $680 for the above so far with butted tubing. They will supply an appropriate headset for $15.
    They only reasonable priced carbon fork I've found is the Columbus Grammy on PX for £150.
    My only concerned is that I forget to spec something or spec something wrongly!
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Specifications loook good, but nothing about sizes or geometry....
  • rowlers
    I've emailed asking for geometry...