Tapered steerer / straight steerer.. will it fit?

qooqiiu
qooqiiu Posts: 212
edited April 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Made a recent error.

Bought a new fork and assumed by the shape of my frame that I needed a tapered steerer until I took out the original fork and discovered it is straight!

So do I send the tapered one back and buy a straight on or can I get something to make the tapered on work.

Bike is 2012 cube reaction GTC pro. Cannot find the original web page with the details of the bikes specifications.

Any help would be very welcome. :(

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Read the headset standards on parktools and measure your head tube after removing the headset. You may have a head tube suitable for a tapered fork or you may not. You might just need a new headset or maybe just a new crown race. But you are going to have to work out what you have.

Pics can help.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • qooqiiu
    Thank you,

Do these help?

image_zpsvddvwpu9.jpg

image_zpsyoqfapha.jpg

image_zpskmksorvq.jpg

image_zpsw8nx6mco.jpg
  • cobba
    cobba Posts: 282
    Looks like you've got a tapered head tube and there's a 1.5" to 1 1/8" reducer crown race on your fork.

To fit your tapered fork you'll need to put a new 1.5" crown race for it.
  • qooqiiu
    Yes I definitely remember it saying tapered headtube from cubes original page before I bought it. So all I need is a 1.5" crow race and bobs your uncle it'll fit just like the original one??