Bike Maps / Guide Books - Where to shop ?

kinioo
kinioo Posts: 776
edited April 2015 in MTB general
Hi All,

Found this web:

http://www.bikemaps.co.uk/se-england-mt ... dwards.htm

with some interesting books/maps/guides, however does anybody know a shop which may stock them, so I can physically go and have a look, rather than or before ordering on-line ??

Alternatively - any other good sources for maps/guides (I am after described / shown on map routes) ??

Cheers,

Chris

Comments

• To be honest you may as well get os maps.
  • kinioo
    To be honest you may as well get os maps.

Sure, however if I go to the part of UK I don't know, even with the OS Map cant tell which track is good, what can expect and how long it is, especially when I plan to take my wife there.

OS maps are good and this is what I usually use when planning routes on my own etc.

C.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    kinioo wrote:
    does anybody know a shop which may stock them, so I can physically go and have a look, rather than or before ordering on-line ??

Any large dedicated bookshop (eg Waterstones, etc) will probably have a few similar titles in stock. My local "Go Outdoors" also has a large selection of maps and guide books, including a few specifically aimed at MTB.
    Alternatively - any other good sources for maps/guides (I am after described / shown on map routes) ??

Similar in style to the one you've linked to above, Tom Hutton has a range of books, focusing on different areas of the country, with graded, mapped and described routes, and he seems to appreciate the value of decent singletrack.
    His equivalent to the one you posted: http://www.bikemaps.co.uk/se-england-mt ... biking.htm
    EDIT: sorry, just noticed that one isn't written by Tom Hutton, but it's part of the same series, so hopefully similar in terms of style.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    If you're in London Stanfords, worlds biggest map shop.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • iwilldoit
    iwilldoit Posts: 710
    If you know the area your going to ride, I look at Multimap and search in OS mode and then if I find a track that looks good you can switch to aerial/satellite mode and zoom in a get a look what the track is like, especially in my area is it still there on the ground.
  • kinioo
    Cheers guys!!