Ultegra 6800 Cassette

mickcee
mickcee Posts: 46
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
When I bought my Canyon Ultimate AL I was giving the option of 3 rear cassette's, 11-25, 12-25 and 11-28 which they called the mountain goat gears.

I though I had improved on my hill climbing and have managed flying about on the flats with the 12-25 that I chose but I have been increasing my climbing training for some of the sportives this year and have suddenly found out i am running out of gears on the more challanging climbs.

I am quite happy to go out and buy the 11-28 so I have the option to change it for events where i am doing some steeper climbs. Is this a straight swap are would I need to change anything else.

There is an option for 11-32 but i have been told that needs a change of deraileur and front cage but they were not sure on the move upto 11-28.

Any help will be appreciated

Comments

• Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    If the cassette is the only bit that you're changing and it's the same make and model but with different ratios, you should be OK with regard to the chainline. There's a chance that you'll need to adjust the B screw (I don't know why it's called that) to get the jockey wheels the right distance from the cogs and a very remote chance that you'll need to add a link or two to the chain, but I'd try it with no adjustment first and see how it goes - you probably won't need to do either.

In summary - you should be fine
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    I swapped my 11-25 for an 11-28 with no problems. I think some people have managed to get away with fitting the 11-32 as well but I can't speak from experience.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have 2 pairs of wheels and swap a 12-25 with an 11-28 with no adjustments whatsoever required
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    edited April 2015
    You said it yourself, up to the 28 is a straight swap, if you want the 32 officially you need the medium cage rear mech. No need to change the front mech (what for?) though as it's got nothing to do with it.
  • saftlad
    saftlad Posts: 49
    As others have said, it should be a straight swap in.

I've got 11-28 on the summer wheels, and 11-32 on a spare rear for when the guys want to go up some ridiculous hills. No problem running the 11-32 on a short cage mech so far, no adjustment needed in my case.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    It can depend on how they've sized your chain. Chances are it'll be completely fine but just be mindful not to go big-big on a 28 with a chain that's been sized for a 25.

In any case I wouldn't bother with saving the 25 just leave the 28 on and save yourself the hassle.

Also it's still curious the attitude some have towards gearing, e.g. calling 28T 'mountain goat' which is a nonsense, that's just a normal gearing IMO. If you were talking 32T+ then you may have a point.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Depends on your legs and the hills. I've exclusively ridden a double and 12-23 or 25 and that's it until last autumn when my new bike had a compact and a 11-28. The granny gear is ridiculously high for the roads i ride (Surrey, mostly)
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    For flat rides I use 11/23 and hilly 11/28.
    Bike has Ulregra 6800, no issues with stretching the chain for me.

As others have said up to 11 28 you'll be fine.