Sportives then what...Audax?

kelliano
kelliano Posts: 72
edited May 2015 in Road beginners
I'm looking to take part in a taster sportive in a couple weeks at Chester, however I'm already looking further afield for next event, and looking to fill in my calendar.

I've been looking in usual places, British Cycling etc, but have stumbled across Audax website, which is all new to me. Anyone recommend these events? I like the sound of a fair number in the North West/Wales and reading couple reports they seem popular enough.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    I never done an Audax I wouldn't recommend.
    There's no electronic timing or arrows showing you the way.
    You will get a route card with directions and many will also give you a GPX file.
    No food stations with gels and sports drinks. More than likely tea and cake at the finish and controls on the routes will be at cafes.
    Cost about £5 - £10
    Enter one you'll like it.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    This thread will probably degenerate into a sportive vs. audax slanging match as they generally do!

Both are great ways to ride your bike and I have enjoyed both many times.

So that's out of the way - what so brilliant about Audax?

It does require a little more self-sufficiency - as above, you will be navigating yourself as there's no way-marking. That's either following a routesheet or waiting until your GPS beeps to tell you to turn left.

There won't be food-stations, but many events will start and finish at a village or church hall and there will be tables laden with cake etc. Out on the road, there will usually be a cafe stop or two.

Timing - no-one cares whether you get round in 7 hours or 13 hours. Everyone has achieved the same standard - the distance is the challenge, not the time.

Generally very sociable, especially on the really long stuff.

On the shorter stuff in particular (these things are relative, but in Audax world, a long ride is defined as starting at 200km), you will see a great mix of riders from the very fastest on the latest and greatest carbon bling to people old enough to be your grandad on steel frames and two panniers ready to tour the world. No right or wrong way.

Field sizes are generally much smaller than sportives - typical events have 50-100 riders on them. They are all run on a purely voluntary basis.

The field sizes mean that organisors can be quite adventurous with their choice of route - you can find yourself on the tiniest of lanes with grass in the middle that was last used by a motor vehicle in autumn when the farmer went to harvest.

It's a fun way to spend the weekend - and if you get into it, you will be amazed what you can do - audax is full of very ordinary people doing some extraordinary things. When I first started, I was scraping my way around a 200km event and the thought of riding 400km+ for several days in a row was just crazy talk.

You're well catered for up in the North West - lots of events that have great reputations, especially into the Peak District etc.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    whoof wrote:

On first reading that makes it sound like you've never done an audax and you wouldn't recommend them... I get it now :-)

I used to do sportives, now I only do audaxes. Lumpy Scrumpy 100km this Saturday and the weather is looking awful. I'm sure The Rules have something to say about long rides in crappy weather 8)
  • CYCLESPORT1
    CYCLESPORT1 Posts: 471
    Much better value for money than most rip off Sportif's
  • craker wrote:
    whoof wrote:

On first reading that makes it sound like you've never done an audax and you wouldn't recommend them... I get it now :-)

I used to do sportives, now I only do audaxes. Lumpy Scrumpy 100km this Saturday and the weather is looking awful. I'm sure The Rules have something to say about long rides in crappy weather 8)

+1 - only done 100 & 200km so far - a bit nervous trying a 300 as not sure I'd get round or how I'd deal with a lack of sleep!
  • drummer_boy
    drummer_boy Posts: 236
    It's the old joke - 'What's the difference between and audax and a sportive - about £20'!!

If you're after a good North West audax, I can recommend the Ribble Valley CRC Fleet Moss Audax coming up in a few weeks. There are 3 courses lengths, with the biggie being 134miles and 11,000 ft of climb, over the Bowland hills, Dentdale and Fleet Moss. http://www.ribblevalleycrc.com/whats-on ... x-may-2015

I am a club member, and am planning on attempting it for the first time!
  • woolwich
    woolwich Posts: 298
    I do both. I think Marcusjb covers it pretty nicely.
    One extra thing I really like about audax goes hand I hand with the need to self navigate. I get a much better sense of where I am and where I have been. I feel like I have been on a mini tour or had a real explore or mini adventure.
    When I do Sportives I tend be a bit head down and just follow the signs or the line on a Garmin and sometimes miss everything around me.
    It's great to do both, they compliment each other well.
    Mud to Mudguards. The Art of framebuilding.
    http://locksidebikes.co.uk/
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    +1 - only done 100 & 200km so far - a bit nervous trying a 300 as not sure I'd get round or how I'd deal with a lack of sleep!

If you are getting around a 200 in not too bad a mess at the end, you can get around a 300 - especially in the summer months.

300 is a great distance - probably my favourite. It's a long day ride and, in summer, can be done in daylight by many riders (but you'd still want to carry lights unless you were very confident).

Sleep isn't too big a deal on a 300 (barring the overnight ones) - and if it is, then a 20 minute catnap will have you back together in the right frame of mind.

You're Sussex based - but this might appeal in August:

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/15-147/

There's also the Rural South in June:

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/15-246/

And the Hereward in July (a great ride, starting at 9pm on a Friday):

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/15-414/

It's a funny season this year as it is a PBP year - so it's all a bit compressed due to the qualification windows for that.
  • marcusjb wrote:

If you are getting around a 200 in not too bad a mess at the end, you can get around a 300 - especially in the summer months.

300 is a great distance - probably my favourite. It's a long day ride and, in summer, can be done in daylight by many riders (but you'd still want to carry lights unless you were very confident).

Sleep isn't too big a deal on a 300 (barring the overnight ones) - and if it is, then a 20 minute catnap will have you back together in the right frame of mind.

You're Sussex based - but this might appeal in August:

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/15-147/

There's also the Rural South in June:

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/15-246/

And the Hereward in July (a great ride, starting at 9pm on a Friday):

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/15-414/

It's a funny season this year as it is a PBP year - so it's all a bit compressed due to the qualification windows for that.

Cheers for the advice Marcus, I've done 3 200's - I did struggle on one but it was bitterly cold, windy and wet. I've haven't done any this year so it would be sensible to get a few under my belt. I'll check those out though.
    Edit - the Hereward ride looks great!
  • kelliano
    Thanks for the comments.

Great blog Marcus. Good luck at this year's PBP.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    craker wrote:
    whoof wrote:

I read it that way too, I somehow put a comma after the word Audax and thought what an ignorant fool saying he doesn't like something he's never tried. Sorry Whoof. :oops:
    I'm not a great one for organised rides and haven't done a sportive other than the Ride London and my only Audax was the Ditchling Devil last year, so I'm not really the voice of experience. One thing I don't like about organised rides is when you get too many people riding close together and some have no awareness of people around them. The difference between the two is chalk and cheese, and not just for the weather on those two. The Ride London was hideous, lots of people riding like fools. The Ditchling Devil was much better, very relaxed and thoroughly enjoyable. I've entered the Ditchling Devil again for this year, I have no intention to try Ride London again.
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Veronese68 wrote:
    craker wrote:
    whoof wrote:

I read it that way too, I somehow put a comma after the word Audax and thought what an ignorant fool saying he doesn't like something he's never tried. Sorry Whoof. :oops:
    I'm not a great one for organised rides and haven't done a sportive other than the Ride London and my only Audax was the Ditchling Devil last year, so I'm not really the voice of experience. One thing I don't like about organised rides is when you get too many people riding close together and some have no awareness of people around them. The difference between the two is chalk and cheese, and not just for the weather on those two. The Ride London was hideous, lots of people riding like fools. The Ditchling Devil was much better, very relaxed and thoroughly enjoyable. I've entered the Ditchling Devil again for this year, I have no intention to try Ride London again.

So you did actually enjoy yourself then... ;)

I have only ever Audaxed and have not done a sportive. The whole time and gels thing just doesn't suit me! Audaxing is very friendly, can be social if you want it to be and you get to see some lovely parts of the country. I need to do some more 200s and build myself up to a 300 if I ever get the time!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • IanRCarter
    IanRCarter Posts: 217
    I've done quite a few Audaxes now, already done 4 calendar events and 1 perm this year. There's something for everybody, if you're only just starting out then there are plenty of 50k events (I've done one this year so I could buy the medal for the collection), if you like long distances then there is plenty to choose from, or if you prefer hills over miles then you can do Grimpeur events (or do long Grimpeurs if you really want a challenge!). Most of mine this year have been solo but there are always people who are happy to ride with you. Looking forward to the Lumpy Scrumpy this Saturday and adding to my AAA tally.

Sportives are good but I think some cost too much. The Evans ones are a good price and I'm happy to pay more for charity events (I paid £25 for a local charities one last year and entered it again this year) but I think the Wiggle/UKCE and CW ones are milking as much as they can from them now, £30+ is too much in my opinion. Although, saying that, I am doing Velothon Wales in June :oops: I'm just convincing myself the closed roads is worth the extra money!
  • farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    Who knows, after going down the Audax path (highly recommended by the way) you may become a "Brian Toone" https://www.strava.com/athletes/2919 :D

His rides (and data capture) are mind boggling and he seems to be ramping things up even more this years to have a bash at the RAAM http://toone2015.com/

I like his approach of riding a 100 mile to a race, scoring highly in a 100 mile race and then riding 100 miles home again .....
    Regards
    Alan
  • kelliano
    Audax it is seeing as thought first Sportive entry, Chester Taster Sportive, Dark & White, has been cancelled.

Anglesey Lanes on the 6th June for me. Nice warm up for the Rock & Roll Half Marathon in Liverpool the weekend after.