Bike Frame Noise?

apprent1ce
apprent1ce Posts: 58
edited May 2015 in Road beginners
I have a carbon supersix and recently I have become aware of fairly loud vibrational clattering noise when riding over rough roads etc. I've been riding for about a year and have done about 1000 miles and it may be that the bike has always been noisy and I'm just sensitive to it now?

I originally thought it might be water bottle or cages rattling but have eliminated them and can't see any play in forks etc. I have been riding all winter and had a major service about 6 weeks ago so assume bearings ok.

I'm just a bit uncertain now and conscious I'm holding back on pushing descents etc. How noisy are other people's bikes over rough country lane tarmac?

Cheers

Comments

• ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Does it still make the noise when freewheeling on rough roads or only when pedalling? Have you tested whether it still makes the noise when you are out of the saddle?
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    Check the points mentioned in this video http://www.globalcyclingnetwork.com/vid ... er-creaks/
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    The Supersix has a BB30.............
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • Could be something as simple as shift/brake housing hitting the frame. BB30 (or any BB creaking) would be rhythmic and lower frequency. Or, if you have friends like mine, someone put a steel washer on a piece of thread and stuck it to the inside of your seat post. Jingle bells work well too....
  • This may sound daft but have you checked your spokes are tightened? I had a similar sounding noise that was quickly sorted by tightening a loose spoke.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    if you bounce the bike on its front wheel while off it does it rattle? When I first started cycling I used to get an awful rattle on rough surfaces and i couldnt figure out what the hell the problem was. After checking every moving part on the bike and loosening and tightening every nut/bolt I discovered that it was the brake cables touching off each other on the front of the bike. I cable tied them together and cycled in blissful silence from then on.

Your headset may also be loose (which you can check by pulling your front brake and rocking the bike back/forth and watching for play in the front fork/steerer and lastly check your saddle pouch (if you have one) as items in it may be rattling off each other, especially if you have co2 canister and/or allen keys/multi tool.
  • Record11Ti
    Record11Ti Posts: 74
    This may sound daft but have you checked your spokes are tightened? I had a similar sounding noise that was quickly sorted by tightening a loose spoke.

The best ever was Dan Empfield, founder of Slowtwitch.com and one heck of a great guy. He had a "rattle" and worked diligently to find it. After may tear downs and build ups...turns out it was his helmet. :D:D:D
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    MugenSi wrote:
    Your headset may also be loose.
    ... a very good call and possibility
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Have you still got a piece of card going in the back spokes from when you last tried to turn yyiur bike into a motorbike?
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach