Di2 after Campy Record?

celery101
celery101 Posts: 37
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
Hoping for some real-world advice on switching groupsets. I’m using 2011 Campy Record 11spd (with Chorus brakes/FD). I switched from Dura Ace and really much prefer it, especially the feel of the hoods and shifts – compared with moving the brake lever on DA.

However, I’m looking at a Canyon Aeroad and they only come with Shimano (because of the dual bolt rear brake, which Campag don’t make). I might be able to stretch to the Ultegra Di2 version. It would avoid the brake lever shifting I’m not keen on, on mechanical, but I’m just struggling to move back to Shimano.

Not trying to start a Shimano vs Campag thread (they’re clearly both fantastic), but would love to hear from anyone who has gone from Campag to Di2 and how they found it. I’m conflicted (admittedly, it’s a nice dilemma).

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I feel for you, I'd hate to go back to Shimano. Having said that I hired a Shimano DuraAce bike and the hoods felt different but were fine. The rest is just looks as it all works just as well. I think its an emotional attachment.

You could always sell the DA parts (except the brake) and get a Chorus EPS grouppo?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    I switched from Campag to Shimano and I love it. I bought a 2nd hand 10 speed Di2 upgrade kit off ebay in 2010 and upgraded my winter bike to see how I would get on with it and over the past 5 winters it's performed flawlessly, so much so that when I was in the market for a new summer bike last year I went for 11 speed Ultegra Di2 without hesitation. I like the Campag hood shape and feel but I much prefer the Shimano lever shape and feel. I did 5500+ miles last year on my winter/summer combo and the only thing I had to do was charge the battery (once for each bike I think). I used to be a massive Campag fanboy and referred to Shimano as Sh*tmano but not anymore, I'm firmly in the Di2 is fantastic camp.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    drlodge wrote:
    I feel for you, I'd hate to go back to Shimano. Having said that I hired a Shimano DuraAce bike and the hoods felt different but were fine. The rest is just looks as it all works just as well. I think its an emotional attachment.

You could always sell the DA parts (except the brake) and get a Chorus EPS grouppo?

Not sure dura-ace and Campag cables pulls are similar any more? Saw something about shimano brakes that use under-the-tape cable routing now have longer pull to get around friction issues.

Saying that, other companies do direct mount calipers. the FSA ones look like a modern take on old Campag Deltas so that'll be appropriate!
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    g00se wrote:
    drlodge wrote:

Not sure dura-ace and Campag cables pulls are similar any more? Saw something about shimano brakes that use under-the-tape cable routing now have longer pull to get around friction issues.

Saying that, other companies do direct mount calipers. the FSA ones look like a modern take on old Campag Deltas so that'll be appropriate!

Movistar are using Shimano direct mounts with Campy levers...
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • It will work.

A bike mechanic friend of mine is using Super Record EPS with direct mount Shimano calipers on his new De Rosa.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Electric Shimano is very good, I'd say the ergonomics regarding the button action is not ideal and could be improved a lot, that's the main downside.

Would I use it myself? No way, cos it looks bloody awful. In the same way if I had a bloody awful looking girlfriend I wouldn't use that either.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I've just ordered a Campag Chorus EPS groupset. 'nuff said!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava