Which Hybrid with 35c Tyres?

jamesco
jamesco Posts: 687
edited May 2015 in Commuting chat
Yep, the "which hybrid" question again... sorry :oops:

My new Ridgeback lemon went back to the shop in exchange for a fistful of vouchers, so I'm shopping for a replacement hybrid. These are the must-haves:
  • Room for 35c tyres
  • Can take full mudguards & rack with 35c tyres
  • Can be bought or ordered from Cycle Surgery
  • Flatbar (drops don't work for me)
  • Not a Ridgeback
  • No suspension
Disk brakes would be nice

So far, the best I've found is the Giant Escape 1 (£500). My g/f has the 2011 and it's a great bike (to me) which fits. The shop recommended the Spec Vita Sport Disc 2015 (£600), but aside from the brakes, the rest of the components are a step down for more money. The Cube SLs have too high a top tube to fit with my stumpy legs and stretched torso.

Any recommendations would be highly appreciated!

The budget is up to £800; less is better to lose the worry of having an expensive bike nicked!

Comments

• jamesco
    (Cross-posting from Commuting Chat - hope that's okay).

Yep, the "which hybrid" question again... sorry :oops:

My new Ridgeback lemon went back to the shop in exchange for a fistful of vouchers, so I'm shopping for a replacement hybrid. These are the must-haves:
    • Room for 35c tyres
    • Can take full mudguards & rack with 35c tyres
    • Can be bought or ordered from Cycle Surgery
    • Flatbar (drops don't work for me)
    • Not a Ridgeback
    • No suspension
    Disk brakes would be nice

So far, the best I've found is the Giant Escape 1 (£500). My g/f has the 2011 and it's a great bike (to me) which fits. The shop recommended the Spec Vita Sport Disc 2015 (£600), but aside from the brakes, the rest of the components are a step down for more money. The Cube SLs have too high a top tube to fit with my stumpy legs and stretched torso.

Any recommendations would be highly appreciated!

The budget is up to £800; less is better to lose the worry of having an expensive bike nicked!
  • drummer_boy
    drummer_boy Posts: 236
    Might seema dumb question, but are you a man, or a lady? The reason I ask is that your username is James*, but one of the bikes you mention is a lady specific model.
  • jamesco
    Might seema dumb question, but are you a man, or a lady? The reason I ask is that your username is James*, but one of the bikes you mention is a lady specific model.
    Well spotted! I'm a bloke, but linked to the wrong £600 bike - it should've been the Spec Sirrus Sport Disc 2015.

My g/f has a men's Giant Escape, as it happens, but that's because she really liked the colour.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why cyclesurgery? Few of their offerings are good VFM.

What is the problem with the Cubes top tube? I have no standover room on my commuter, never an issue.

The 'dale quick 4 is reasonably well specced, I know it's meant to be women's (so is the Specilized Vita as it happens it's just CS neglect to mention it in the write up), but the colour scheme is neutral, so long as it fits you..... http://www.cyclesurgery.com/cannondale- ... sting=true it comes on 32mm tyres 9so not quite 35's but I'm sure they will fit if it has 32 as stock).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • If I had, and I mean was forced to ride a hybrid, I'd probably go for this:

borough_01.jpg

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/urb ... ge/borough
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    If I had, and I mean was forced to ride a hybrid, I'd probably go for this:

borough_01.jpg

Dangerously close to Ridgeback territory though....incidentally what was wrong with the Ridgeback? mne's 20 years old and still going strong
  • The Rookie
    If I had, and I mean was forced to ride a hybrid, I'd probably go for this:

borough_01.jpg

Would be interesting if Genesis gave a sodding clue what the gearing was, Alfine or Claris, they can't make up their mind!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • That one's Claris, the more expensive version is Alfine.
  • drummer_boy
    drummer_boy Posts: 236
    No problem :-). I have just bought a used Sirrus, and find (compared to my road and CX bikes) the head tube uis very tall, so it's a very upright ride.
    that might not be a bad thing, but the other bikes you mention seem lower, and so might give you a sportier feeling ride.
    I do like the Sirrus, and have dropped the bars, and put the stem on upside down to lower the bars. I aim to use mine for a bit of first time cycle touring this May, so wanted some thing sturdier than my road bike.
    Best advise is to test ride as many as you can and buy based on the ride, and build quality of the bikes.
  • jamesco
    The Rookie wrote:
    Why cyclesurgery? Few of their offerings are good VFM.
    A bike I bought from Cycle Surgery turned out to be a real lemon and after mentioning the Sale of Goods Act I ended up getting an offer of store vouchers in exchange for the bike. It was a bit of a loss but I was tired of fighting and vouchers are better than the bike.
    gbsahne wrote:
    incidentally what was wrong with the Ridgeback?
    Spokes breaking like dry spaghetti. It was in the shop for months - literally - getting repaired. My colleague has the same bike & problem, so I don't trust them any more. Regardless of the bikes, the distributor simply sucks at warranty repairs.
    If I had, and I mean was forced to ride a hybrid, I'd probably go for this:http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/urb ... ge/borough
    That's not a bad suggestion and £699 (non-Alfine), too. Thanks, I'll check it out!
  • jamesco
    Thanks, for that. It's a nice looking bike, but annoyingly it doesn't have the carbon fork that the £75 cheaper 7.4 does. Knowing that would really bug me! :wink:
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    The Cube SL road looks like a reasonable deal for £599 or the Orbea Carpe for 634 from the same supplier (as you have vouchers)
  • The Rookie
    That one's Claris, the more expensive version is Alfine.
    I know, but it's not what the webpage says! Photo is Claris, spec is Claris and the Features says Alfine!

Interestingly it's the other way round for the Smithfield, epic web-builder mess up!
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    London Road "Argento" for £650

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXLDNRDA ... urban-bike

Edit: oops, not Cycle Surgery! ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    From ANY shop, I would say Boardman Hybrid or Whyte Portobello. Cycle surgery sells the latter http://www.cyclesurgery.com/pws/UniqueP ... CWHY0221EE

Awesome bike.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    With the 15% sale, the Boardman Hybrid Team is very nice for £637.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/h ... -bike#tab1
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • jamesco
    apreading wrote:
    From ANY shop, I would say Boardman Hybrid or Whyte Portobello.
    I'm stuck with Cycle Surgery* so no Boardman bikes; the Whyte range unfortunately can't take more than a 30 (maaaaaybe a 32) with full guards, which seems pretty silly to me for city bikes with supposedly mountain bike roots. I'd love to be proved wrong but the shop floor guys all thought the same.

*it's crossed my mind to buy a Brompton for as near to £800 as possible and sell it new on ebay, since they hold their value pretty well...
  • apreading
    Last time I looked at the Portobello there was LOADs of tyre room? I didnt buy one 3 years ago because they were tight but they redesigned them in keeping with their CX bikes a couple of years ago. Have you seen a recent one, or an old model?

This is a pic of the Stirling - next model up but same frame design: http://whyte.bike/gb/mqtC3uAGYlodD9Io/u ... g-full.jpg
  • The Rookie
    jamesco wrote:
    I'm stuck with Cycle Surgery*
    My help if you could explain why?
  • jamesco
    apreading wrote:
    Last time I looked at the Portobello there was LOADs of tyre room? ... Have you seen a recent one, or an old model?
    The recent ones on the shop floor and I took one for a ride, too. Race-blades and fatter tyres would fit, but not full guards.
    The Rookie wrote:
    jamesco wrote:
    I'm stuck with Cycle Surgery*
    My help if you could explain why?
    A bike I bought from Cycle Surgery turned out to be a real lemon and after mentioning the Sale of Goods Act I ended up getting an offer of store vouchers in exchange for the bike. It was a bit of a loss but I was tired of fighting and vouchers are better than a flawed bike.
  • apreading
    jamesco wrote:
    apreading wrote:
    Last time I looked at the Portobello there was LOADs of tyre room? ... Have you seen a recent one, or an old model?
    The recent ones on the shop floor and I took one for a ride, too. Race-blades and fatter tyres would fit, but not full guards.

Fair enough - I guess 35s are just bigger than I realised!