2 GSC-10's and 1 Edge 1000

phills
phills Posts: 68
edited April 2015 in Commuting chat
Hi All

I have an Edge 1000 and a Speed/Cadence sensor on my road bike. I've just bought another GSC-10 to go on the mountain bike. Will the Edge automatically detect which one I'm using or will I have to remove and re-pair each time I change bike? To complicate things further, I have to move the Road bike to get out my mountain bike so it will first detect the Road bike sensor and then the mountain bike one? It's very confusing and I believe there isn't different bike profiles to make things easier. Help please.

Comments

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    phills wrote:
    Hi All

I have an Edge 1000 and a Speed/Cadence sensor on my road bike. I've just bought another GSC-10 to go on the mountain bike. Will the Edge automatically detect which one I'm using or will I have to remove and re-pair each time I change bike? To complicate things further, I have to move the Road bike to get out my mountain bike so it will first detect the Road bike sensor and then the mountain bike one? It's very confusing and I believe there isn't different bike profiles to make things easier. Help please.
    It automatically detects with the 800 so don't know why the 1000 wouldn't. The 800 has different bike profiles also.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • phills
    The Edge 1000 doesn't have Bike Profiles and so will detect both sensors but not know which one to use, which is causing me the confusion. Hopefully it will ask which one when 2 are detected. My other option is to move the bikes and then switch on the Edge so it only detects the one I'm using.
  • mpdouglas
    mpdouglas Posts: 220
    I have exactly this setup. It auto detects which one to use. I've just added a 3rd GSC-10 and all 3 are paired to the Edge 1000. Even if I have moved one of the bikes that I'm not about to ride and caused the GSc-10 to start communicating, it still seems to work out the correct one to use once it gets out of range of the stationary bike.
    "The Flying Scot"
    Commute - Boardman CXR 9.4 Di2
    Sunday Best - Canyon Ultimate SLX Disc w/ DuraAce Di2
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    The GSC-10 I have on my turbo isn't detected until I at least pedal 1 rotation which seems to wake it up. So it's unlikely it'll detect two at the same time (edit: unless you do what mpdouglas mentions)

But on the original question, just pair everything and you should be fine. My Edge 1000 has one new speed sensor, one new cadence, one GSC-10, two HRMs, a Wahoo Kickr and Vector pedals all paired across 3 bikes. No problems between them.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • phills
    That's great news, thanks all for your help!
  • phills
    All went well. Fitted new sensor on MTB and it connected no problem. Renamed each sensor MTB and Road. Thanks all!
  • wandsworth
    wandsworth Posts: 354
    Does the same work on the Edge 500? It doesn't seem to for me. I have the new Garmin cadence sensors that clip to the crank, rather than the GSC-10s, on two bikes and have to re-pair them each time I switch bikes. Maybe it just doesn't work or maybe I'm doing it wrong ...
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • phills
    I think the 500 works differently to the 1000 in that it has bike profiles. You need to set up the sensors for each profile and then select the bike profile you are using. It should then know which sensor to connect to.

From Garmin Forums:

"Just jump through the menus to bikes and check the box for the second bike. Give it a name and set it up however you like. GSC, weight, odometer, power meter etc. then take the edge and the new bike a fair way away from any other sensors and start the scan. It will find the GSC. Sometimes if the GSC is new or not used for a while it goes to sleep and needs to be woke up by pressing the little button until it lights up. "
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    I have a 1000. You'll only potentially have problems if you lend your wife / mate one bike and ride the other on the same ride. But I seem to recall reading they've thought of that and it'll work out which takes priority (stronger signal for longer or something similar, it should be a fairly simple algorithm).
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • phills
    rower63 wrote:
    I have a 1000. You'll only potentially have problems if you lend your wife / mate one bike and ride the other on the same ride. But I seem to recall reading they've thought of that and it'll work out which takes priority (stronger signal for longer or something similar, it should be a fairly simple algorithm).

Hopefully they'd be so far behind me it wouldn't make a difference! :D
  • wandsworth
    wandsworth Posts: 354
    phills wrote:
    I think the 500 works differently to the 1000 in that it has bike profiles. You need to set up the sensors for each profile and then select the bike profile you are using. It should then know which sensor to connect to.

From Garmin Forums:

"Just jump through the menus to bikes and check the box for the second bike. Give it a name and set it up however you like. GSC, weight, odometer, power meter etc. then take the edge and the new bike a fair way away from any other sensors and start the scan. It will find the GSC. Sometimes if the GSC is new or not used for a while it goes to sleep and needs to be woke up by pressing the little button until it lights up. "

Thank you. Will give it a try.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.