Calling Canyon Aeroad Riders

AER_2263
AER_2263 Posts: 13
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I am looking at the Canyon Aeroad vs the Ultimate CF. I personally think the Aeroad is an amazing looking bike. One thing I am concerned about is the comfort factor. It's a bike designed for speed, which appeals, but I am not racing.

Is this a bike you can spend 5 or 6 hours in the saddle on a training ride or on a hilly ride? I'm thinking the Ultimate CF would be a better fit for the riding I do (some flat stuff round Cheshire but try and get into the hills of the Peaks as much as I can, 50-80 mile rides on one weekend day, cafe ride on the other) but I just think the Aeroad looks better! Currently riding a CAD Synapse 105 2014 so I am used to the relaxed geometry of that bike. Really happy with CAD by the way but I am looking for something better now.

Looks like the Aeroad is more available than the Ultimate CF too - some of their models are completely sold out for this season already.

Any Canyon owners got any thoughts?

Thanks

Comments

• ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    AER_2263 wrote:
    Hi,

I am looking at the Canyon Aeroad vs the Ultimate CF. I personally think the Aeroad is an amazing looking bike. One thing I am concerned about is the comfort factor. It's a bike designed for speed, which appeals, but I am not racing.

Is this a bike you can spend 5 or 6 hours in the saddle on a training ride or on a hilly ride? I'm thinking the Ultimate CF would be a better fit for the riding I do (some flat stuff round Cheshire but try and get into the hills of the Peaks as much as I can, 50-80 mile rides on one weekend day, cafe ride on the other) but I just think the Aeroad looks better! Currently riding a CAD Synapse 105 2014 so I am used to the relaxed geometry of that bike. Really happy with CAD by the way but I am looking for something better now.

Looks like the Aeroad is more available than the Ultimate CF too - some of their models are completely sold out for this season already.

Any Canyon owners got any thoughts?

Thanks
    I'd suggest basing your decision primarily on the geometry.
    I'm sure the Aeroad will be fine for comfort so long as it fits you well. The fit and tyre type, size and pressures have a lot more impact on comfort than anything related to the frame. Having said that I ride an ultimate CF SL and it's remarkably comfy, perhaps somewhat down to the frame but I think the VCLS seatpost, 25mm Michelin Pro4 SC tyres and the fact it's a good fit are the primary reasons.
    As far as I can remember the Aeroad frames have a lower stack height and longer reach, so will suit a more aggressive position. there's not much point getting the Aeroad if you'll end up wither uncomfortable or with a flipped stem just to get a usable position. Compare the stack and reach to your current bike and see how much it differs. If you're happy with your position as it is, then buy something with more similar geometry. I would imagine that'll be an Ultimate or the Endurace if you go with Canyon. If you'd like to try a more aggressive position but you're not certain you can manage it then it would be a bit risky to buy a more aggressive bike in hope. In that case why not modify your position on the synapse to simulate the bike you're considering? It may simply be a case of buying a new longer and more angled stem to try on your existing bike for a few rides to see how you feel in a lower and more stretched position. Specialized do a stems around 20 degrees that comes with inserts to allow you vary the angle from 16 to 24 degrees in 2 degree increments. I used one for a while to get a lower position on an older more upright bike before buying the Ultimate. I think it was about €40.
  • ^whs, all bases covered.

There is no reason why any correctly fitted bike can't be comfortable for 5-6 hours.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    No help at all but I ordered my Canyon Ultimate CF Frame in October 2014 ans was quoted week 12(ie end of March) 2015.It was ready on time but 5 months was a long time to wait!
    I think the turn around times on pre-built bikes is a lot less than frame-set only!
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    I own the previous aeroad and i would say go for it. The new model is stunning and even better in the flesh

Unless the geometry has massively changed on the new model it doesnt feel much different to the CF SLX which i believe is the same as the SL

I have ridden the CF SLX quite a few times on long rides in Majorca and the aeroad is my summer bike. In regards to comfort they are both extremely comfortable bikes and I cant say i notice the geometry difference. As above the frame, post and right tyre choice soaks up road buzz.

And dont worry about the Aeroad being for flat riding and the SL being more for hills. You will notice zero difference between the two. They are both excellent going uphill and i think the total weight difference is about 100g so just put a little less water in your bottle

Maybe the Aeroad feels a little more stretched out and lower when on the drops but not to the point where im uncomfortable and i am really not that flexible.
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • ai_1
    ibbo68 wrote:
    No help at all but I ordered my Canyon Ultimate CF Frame in October 2014 ans was quoted week 12(ie end of March) 2015.It was ready on time but 5 months was a long time to wait!
    I think the turn around times on pre-built bikes is a lot less than frame-set only!
    As long as you know how long you'll be waiting at the time you order, you can decide accordingly. I think mine took about 8 weeks but it arrived exactly when it was supposed to.
  • ai_1
    Tjgoodhew wrote:
    I own the previous aeroad and i would say go for it. The new model is stunning and even better in the flesh

Unless the geometry has massively changed on the new model it doesnt feel much different to the CF SLX which i believe is the same as the SL

I have ridden the CF SLX quite a few times on long rides in Majorca and the aeroad is my summer bike. In regards to comfort they are both extremely comfortable bikes and I cant say i notice the geometry difference. As above the frame, post and right tyre choice soaks up road buzz.
    I wholeheartedly disagree!

If you personally happen to be able to find a comfy position on both that's all very well and good but it doesn't mean everyone can. You didn't even mention whether you had spacers on one and not the other or different stems, etc. The OP is currently riding a much less aggressive bike, I don't know how he's got it set up, but the frame is much less aggressive. He may well find the Ultimate a challenge to adapt to, never mind going more aggressive again with the Aeroad.

I had a quick look at the geometries of these 3 bikes and the Endurace also (I assumed size 56 but the differences should be pretty representative for all sizes):

Canyon Synapse:
    Reach = 386mm
    Stack = 582mm

Canyon Aeroad:
    Reach = 397mm
    Stack = 551mm

Canyon Ultimate:
    Reach = 383mm
    Stack = 560mm

Canyon Endurace:
    Reach = 378mm
    Stack = 571mm

So there's a very significant increase in reach and drop in stack moving from the Synapse to the Aeroad. You'd expect to need a stem 10mm shorter and 30mm of spacers to get a similar position on the Aeroad. The stem is probably fine unless you've a short stem already. I think 30mm of spacers is more than the Aeroad will allow and if the Synapse already has some spacers you'd need even more.

As before, if you know you can manage a lower position, great, go for it. If not, try it first or buy something closer to what you're already happy with.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I've gone from a Planet-X RT-58 to the Canyon Ultimate CF SL and find the Canyon far more comfortable despite being a slightly more aggressive riding position.I've moved all the bits from the RT to the CF so the only thing that's different is the frame so I'm putting it down to better quality material/manufacture of the frame?
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Ai_1 wrote:

Canyon Synapse:
    Reach = 386mm
    Stack = 582mm

Canyon Aeroad:
    Reach = 397mm
    Stack = 551mm

Canyon Ultimate:
    Reach = 383mm
    Stack = 560mm

Canyon Endurace:
    Reach = 378mm
    Stack = 571mm

So there's a very significant increase in reach and drop in stack moving from the Synapse to the Aeroad. You'd expect to need a stem 10mm shorter and 30mm of spacers to get a similar position on the Aeroad. The stem is probably fine unless you've a short stem already. I think 30mm of spacers is more than the Aeroad will allow and if the Synapse already has some spacers you'd need even more.

As before, if you know you can manage a lower position, great, go for it. If not, try it first or buy something closer to what you're already happy with.

Good advice, but you wouldn't want to get a similar position on the Aeroad as you currently have on your Synapse. You'd set it up to be lower and longer, as per it's designed intent. A comfortable position is a comfortable position, regardless of whether it's "aggressive" or not.
  • ai_1
    styxd wrote:
    Ai_1 wrote:

Canyon Synapse:
    Reach = 386mm
    Stack = 582mm

Canyon Aeroad:
    Reach = 397mm
    Stack = 551mm

Canyon Ultimate:
    Reach = 383mm
    Stack = 560mm

Canyon Endurace:
    Reach = 378mm
    Stack = 571mm

Good advice, but you wouldn't want to get a similar position on the Aeroad as you currently have on your Synapse. You'd set it up to be lower and longer, as per it's designed intent. A comfortable position is a comfortable position, regardless of whether it's "aggressive" or not.
    Exactly, so if the lower position doesn't suit, don't get the Aeroad.