Hi Altitude lenses question

captain_tiara
captain_tiara Posts: 106
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
Hello to everyone out there,

I'm looking at getting some spare lenses for my Rudy Project Rydons, a dark tint for bright sunshine, have some photochromatic presently which are very good, but maybe a bit too bright in strong sunshine.

Looking at all the retailers, the light admission %, for the same lenses, seems to be reported with different values depending where you look, which is annoyingly confusing.

I want some dark lenses, Hi Altitude is the darkest they do, but as a Cat 4 lense they say no-no for road use. I'm tempted to think this is Health & Safety Accident Liability labelling......The next choice would be Action Brown.

Does anyone have some of the High Altitude or properly dark lenses? Some feedback/advice might save me from buying 2 types & sending one back.

Thanks, Will.

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    I have photocromatic and Lazer Blue lenses for Rydons (I think they're called Lazer Blue anyway). They are ideal for bright sun, much better than the photocromatic.

I don't have Cat 4 cycling glasses, but have a pair of cat 4 glasses designed for alpinism. I would not wear them on the bike as they are too dark. Can't see thing when in tree cover etc, but this is not an issue in the high mountains! I suspect the High Altitude are designed with the same purpose in mind.
  • Thanks Gary,
    The information about Cat 4 lenses is just what I needed. It's the same class for all use. Now I believe the saleswoman saying it's illegal to drive in them! So probably way too dark for cycling, as you say tree cover could be a problem.

In the end I went for Lazer Bronze, should be a teeny bit darker, [10.4% vs 13.9% light transmission according to Rudy], than your Lazer Blues. Lazer Black sounds boring to me somehow 8)

You are right about the Photochromatic lenses, pretty good for most of the time, but don't get quite dark enough, hence the hunt for some darker ones.

Thanks for stopping me going too far again! :D