29er frame replacement

Deker
Deker Posts: 16
edited April 2015 in MTB general
Hi,

I bought a Voodoo Bizango several months ago and it's been faultless but after recent trips around some of the 7stanes I think the frame is borderline too big, (I'm 5' 8" and have the 18" frame) after looking at a few different bikes it looks like I'd need a small frame rather than the medium that I currently have.

So after some google searches have come up with the following as possible small frame replacements:

On One Parkwood
Kinesis MaxLight FF29
Cotic Solaris

Does anyone have any experience of these companies and\or frames? are there any others that I should be looking at?

Is it as simple as changing out the frame or would it consist of a lot more parts? I don't mind investing in a good frame as I'll be replacing the Voodoo parts with higher spec parts as they wear out.

Thanks for any advice

Deker

Comments

• wilberforce
    wilberforce Posts: 295
    I have a Kinesis FF29 (albeit mine is a large frame)
    I bought the frame two years ago and have built it up with Reba forks, SLX drivetrain and Stans Arch rims.
    Can't compare it with the other frames you list as I have not ridden them, but I love the FF29 for riding the likes of Swinley and the MOD land around NE Hants & Surrey.
    Kinesis were responsive when I did email them with one question, but frames are easy to get hold of with the likes of Merlin stocking them
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    I bought a Cotic and am really pleased with it. I considered the Kinesis which will be a bit lighter I should think. You won't go far wrong with either of those. I think the Cotic in duck egg looks great, although I'm a bit worried about how it will last. Kinesis in green looks good, but I've already got a green Kinesis CX.
    Compare the size of your current frame against the various measurements on the replacement to make sure you get the right size this time. There may be variations in proportions that make one better suited than another. Also check your forks will fit as they are the most expensive bit to swap over. Is the steerer long enough and is the travel of the fork correct for the frame you want to buy.
  • Deker
    Thank you both for your advice,

My current forks are ok travel wise (120mm) but I'll need to check the steerer, I'll eventually be looking for replacement forks (probably Rockshox pikes) but that's later so it may come down to picking the frame based on the steerer as you say.

I've checked the tech specs of the frames listed and they are smaller so should be a better fit but I'll try and see if I can demo a ready built bike or worst case take my bike to compare.

Thanks again

Deker
  • wilberforce
    Deker wrote:
    My current forks are ok travel wise (120mm) but I'll need to check the steerer, I'll eventually be looking for replacement forks (probably Rockshox pikes) but that's later so it may come down to picking the frame based on the steerer as you say.

Aren't Pikes 140mm-160mm, and so would be outside of the recommended travel for the Kinesis and possibly your other suggestions (although I haven't checked)
  • Deker
    Deker wrote:

Aren't Pikes 140mm-160mm, and so would be outside of the recommended travel for the Kinesis and possibly your other suggestions (although I haven't checked)

Arghh you're right, I thought I'd read that you could get 120mm ones but it doesn't look like it, we'll I'll still look at upgrading the forks at a later date but I guess it wont be for Pikes (unless they start doign 120mm when I'm in the market for them!)

EDIT: just found the page I was looking at and you need to change the air shaft to drop to 120mm (about £35) but it's possible
  • wilberforce
    I run my Kinesis at 100mm, which I think is the default they suggest
  • Deker
    I run my Kinesis at 100mm, which I think is the default they suggest

On their website they suggest 100-120mm:

"FORK RECOMMENDATION: 100 – 120mm [geometry shown with 100mm fork. - 1º from head angle for 120mm fork]."

So I guess I can try my current 120mm and then make a decision on what's available when I decide to upgrade them, I'll have to look for an alternative to the Pikes if I want to go 100mm
  • Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    Is the frame just too big generally or is there one particular dimension that causes concern? A more cost effective solution could be to fit a shorter stem for example.

I like cotics, not seen a solaris in the flesh but the Soul, Bfe and Rocket are sweet
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.
  • Deker
    Maro wrote:
    Is the frame just too big generally or is there one particular dimension that causes concern? A more cost effective solution could be to fit a shorter stem for example.

I like cotics, not seen a solaris in the flesh but the Soul, Bfe and Rocket are sweet

The frame is just a little to big overall, I've put a shorter stem on with wider bars and it's been much better, but still a little too big, it was my first bike when getting into the sport and now I've had chance to use it a fair amount and also had chance to try other bikes I find that it's just that little bit too big.

Initially I was just going to go the On One Parkwood route as it's a nice price but then I though I might as well have a look around and upgrade while I'm at it so I'd have a frame that would be worth adding higher spec parts to at later dates (I'm not saying the Parkwood isn't an upgrade but I just don't know enough about the brands to make an informed decision).

Regards

Derek
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    At 5'8 I would have thought the bike would be OK for you. I run a medium at 5'6 but it does depend slightly on the frame and the proportion of your height in your respective limbs.

Halfords high tech online size guide suggests its the right size for you at least!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    At 5'8 I would have thought the bike would be OK for you. I run a medium at 5'6 but it does depend slightly on the frame and the proportion of your height in your respective limbs.

Halfords high tech online size guide suggests its the right size for you at least!
    No, no, no.
    OP has a perfectly good bike that is plenty good enough but he's been eyeing up some nicer bikes. So he needs a new bike. But, buying a new bike is expensive so he justifies it to himself by finding fault with the current bike. If he just replaces the frame all will be well and he can upgrade as bits wear out. That's perfectly reasonable. I took a similar approach and it was a horrible accident that made me buy a complete XT groupset to go with my new frame. Oh, and the new wheels, and new forks. :oops:
    I completely understand, buy a Cotic.
  • wilberforce
    Veronese68 wrote:

No, no, no.
    OP has a perfectly good bike that is plenty good enough but he's been eyeing up some nicer bikes. So he needs a new bike. But, buying a new bike is expensive so he justifies it to himself by finding fault with the current bike. If he just replaces the frame all will be well and he can upgrade as bits wear out. That's perfectly reasonable. I took a similar approach and it was a horrible accident that made me buy a complete XT groupset to go with my new frame. Oh, and the new wheels, and new forks. :oops:

But if he buys a Cotic he is always going to wonder what the FF29 would have been like and if he was missing something, so maybe he should buy both ..........................
  • Deker
    Veronese68 wrote:

No, no, no.

Haha you obviously know me well :D , I have enough for a new bike if I wanted and do like the look of the Orange Crush but I tried a medium at one of my LBS and that was a little too big and was recommended a small, but I don't have a problem with any of the Voodoo parts (but also don't expect them to last forever), I figured that if I changed the frame I'd get more use out of the bike
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    I have the Solaris, albeit that I am the other end of the scale to you and have one of the very few XLs that Cotic made. It's the business. I run it with a 120mm fork and it's comfortable, excellent downhill (especially with the dropper post in it) and just a great bike to cover miles on whilst having a bit of fun in the technical bits.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Deker
    Thanks again for the advise, it look like I can't go wrong with either of the Kinesis or Cotic options, I'll put some more miles on to make sure that I need the smaller frame and take it from there.

Regards

Deker
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Deker wrote:
    Thanks again for the advise, it look like I can't go wrong with either of the Kinesis or Cotic options, I'll put some more miles on to make sure that I need the smaller frame and take it from there.

Regards

Deker

Quite. You just need to work out whether you'd prefer alu or steel!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris