Dropper Cable...

Angus Young
Angus Young Posts: 3,063
edited April 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
What would you use to replace the cable on a cable operated dropper post? Brake cable or gear cable?

I've figured out that it's the cable getting gunked rather than the mechanism at the top of the post that causes the post to get sticky after a few bad weather rides. Quite pleased about that as it makes keeping it running a simpler matter, just keep the cable clean and periodically replace it rather than faffing around with the post.

So, should I use one or the other or won't it make much difference.
All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607

Comments

• oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    I'd assume it's a gear cable as all the remote forks I've worked on have used them and it's a similar concept. You may find that a brake cable doesn't fit due to it being .2mm wider and has a bigger 'head'.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    So, should I use one or the other or won't it make much difference.

Yeah, they're designed to use gear cables - in most, the little cylindrical knob on the end of the cable (which would normally fit into the shifter) fits into the dropper post lever - if you use a brake cable, the end will be the wrong size/shape. While you're at it, replace the outer with SP41 for reduced friction.
  • Angus Young
    oxocube1 wrote:
    I'd assume it's a gear cable as all the remote forks I've worked on have used them and it's a similar concept.

Makes sense. Thanks.
    jimothy78 wrote:
    ... replace the outer with SP41 for reduced friction.

Thanks for that. Despite cleaning, the button is a little stiffer than it was so that will be a good idea.

I was going to replace the post as part of my upgrades but, turns out it's a really nice post, so if I can keep it running smooth then I won't bother.
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    I have a ks supernatural and it uses a gear cable, and a pain to get it fitted as well.
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    what post you use?
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Angus Young
    Herdwick wrote:
    what post you use?

It's a KS Eten R. I'm impressed with it considering it's relatively cheap.
    Herdwick wrote:
    I have a ks supernatural and it uses a gear cable, and a pain to get it fitted as well.

Dead simple on mine. I took the cable off to clean it and it went back on no trouble.