Decent rides in the Bristol area

dmitch1987
dmitch1987 Posts: 22
edited May 2015 in Road beginners
Hi all just looking for some advise on some nice off road trails in Bristol and surrounding area as the wife wants to get back into cycling however is terrified of roads.

I have a road and mountain bike so can go anywhere however she only has a hybrid.

Any good routes around here that would be easily accessed by hybrid?

Hoping after a few rides i can get her confident to get on the roads and start doing a few nice big road trips!!!

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is in the wrong place!

Comments

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,423
    Hi. The Bristol -Bath cycle path is about 30 miles there and back. Then you can add in the Two Tunnels to Midford. A short good condition gravel track will take you to Wellow. Quiet country roads to Shoscombe then cycle track to Radstock and onto Great Elm. The whole lot and back will see you doing 60+ miles. Not any hills to speak of but a safe mostly traffic free route.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Heyup. i live in Weston and usually cycle local area. For your requirement i would check out the Strawberry Line route. Yatton to Cheddar is around 10 miles so nice round trip. Various stop places on route. you go through Thatchers cider orchards and can stop off at Sandford Station for toilet break if required and visit the Heritage Centre which tells the history of the Strawberry Line. It's a great route and doesn't use any main roads hardly. I think only around Axbridge you hit a main road, the rest is gravel so no problem for hybrid as my 28mm's have no problem on it.
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    Not sure if you use Strava or not. One thing I found good with it when I first started cycling was for finding new routes to ride. If you scan throw the map you can find out where other people are riding. I found lots of good routes I never knew existed and also two clubs which I wasn't aware of too.
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    These maps show all the traffic free paths in Bristol and the surrounding areas. Paper versions are available from the council, libraries and some bike shops.
    http://www.betterbybike.info/regional-cycle-maps/

On a more general note Lifecycle offer 3 hours of free adult cycle training that can help your wife feels more comfortable on the road, you could also give it a go.

http://www.lifecycleuk.org.uk/cycle-training-adults
  • Cheers all think we are going to give these a go over the coming weeks....I love a pint of thatchers so happy days!
  • telesv650
    telesv650 Posts: 59
    A bit of a drive from Bristol I know, but there is a cycling evening every tuesday at Castle Combe Racing Circuit.

Nothing on the track other than bikes or all standards and abilities.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    If you're in north Bristol how about pootling down to the Severn Bridge - traffic free crossing with views (not as idyllic as all that bearing in mind you're a couple of feet from a motorway and the wind can hamper progress.)

6 miles there and back if you park at the services.
  • dmitch1987
    dmitch1987 Posts: 22
    telesv650 wrote:
    A bit of a drive from Bristol I know, but there is a cycling evening every tuesday at Castle Combe Racing Circuit.

Nothing on the track other than bikes or all standards and abilities.

Cracking idea. Going to have a look at that for next weekend. Managed to get the wife out for 22 miles over the weekend riding the local area!