Welsh Trail Centre Time Line

Chinley Churner
Chinley Churner Posts: 313
edited April 2015 in MTB general
Hi, bit of a historical question about North Welsh trails....

Was the Marin the first and a good example of classic fire road trails up and singletrack sections down?

Next, would you say old Red Bull trail (forgotten what it's called now) at Coed-Y-Brenin was the next progression or do you reckon the next major step would be the Beast, MBR, Dragon's Back?

Finally, is Coed Llandegla representative of a contemporary trail i.e.. more flow/jumps etc?

cheers for any feedback or input

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    oxoman wrote:
    Llandega is very good

I thought Llandegla was pretty boring. The black trail was just dull and certainly not deserving of it's black grading. I would expect unavoidable jumps, drops or technical features on a black trail but didn't see any at all. I have ridden equally technical blue trails (Sixtapod at BikePark Wales) and much more technical reds (Blade at Afan).
    I certainly wouldn't go back.

I'm sure Brenin was the first trail centre trail, I first rode it a very long time ago.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    oxoman wrote:
    Llandega is very good

I thought Llandegla was pretty boring. The black trail was just dull and certainly not deserving of it's black grading. I would expect unavoidable jumps, drops or technical features on a black trail but didn't see any at all. I have ridden equally technical blue trails (Sixtapod at BikePark Wales) and much more technical reds (Blade at Afan).
    I certainly wouldn't go back.

Not to mention all that bloody peddling to get to the start of the trail proper. There's no fun to be had on the way up.

Is the black really equivalent to Sixtapod, or are you exaggerating of dramatic effect?
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • rockmonkeysc
    Im not exaggerating. Similar technical difficulties.
    If ridden fast I would say sixtapod has the bigger jumps. 20 foot step down (5 foot drop) on Sixtapod if you're trying hard :-)
  • Angus Young
    Im not exaggerating. Similar technical difficulties.
    If ridden fast I would say sixtapod has the bigger jumps. 20 foot step down (5 foot drop) on Sixtapod if you're trying hard :-)

Interesting. I like Sixtapod. I could ride that all day.
  • rockmonkeysc
    It can be crazy fast and the faster you get the more jumps you find. Exactly what a blue trail should be, anyone could roll down but there are features to aid progression.
  • Angus Young
    Exactly what a blue trail should be, anyone could roll down but there are features to aid progression.

Yes, that's what I like about it - being relatively rubbish I can wind it up just a little bit more each time and it keeps on giving. Pretty much the same with the other blue run there, too.
  • Completely different types of trail.

Trail gradings aren't universal, one trails black is anothers red is anothers blue.

There is a black at Glentress which is just a long and exposed xc trail.
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    I hope Llandega isn't too bad as I've just planned a trip there for me and my, new to mountain biking, mate. I like rock gardens, jumps, drop off etc, he likes fast, smooth rolling stuff. Excuse for a night out in Chester though :D

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,082
    Myster101 wrote:
    I hope Llandega isn't too bad as I've just planned a trip there for me and my, new to mountain biking, mate. I like rock gardens, jumps, drop off etc, he likes fast, smooth rolling stuff. Excuse for a night out in Chester though :D

The night out in chester will be the highlight
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Completely different types of trail.

Trail gradings aren't universal, one trails black is anothers red is anothers blue.

There is a black at Glentress which is just a long and exposed xc trail.
    Except the end, which is like a mini downhill track.

People don't seem able to agree whether the Marin trail, or the Red Bull (Tarw Du) trail at Coed Y Brenin was the first UK trail centre. Both are pretty old, though the Tarw feels more old school, possibly due to lack of maintenance.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5