Bouncing Around

Coriander
Coriander Posts: 1,326
edited May 2015 in Commuting general
I have recently lost 4 stone in as many months and a couple of weeks ago got back on my bike. Hills (well, the speed bumps I've gone over so far) are a lot easier, but I am bouncing around on the saddle a lot (no sniggering, please!) and keep shuffling down the saddle as well. Is this what cycling's like when you suddenly weigh a lot less than you did, or do I need to do something?

Any advice would be most welcome, thanks.

Comments

• GiantDance
    GiantDance Posts: 129
    Bouncing on the saddle is a sign that you are in the wrong gear, and so are spinning your legs to fast, try dropping down a gear.
    Moda Prima 2013
    Giant Defy Advanced 1 2014
    Rose Pro DX Cross-3000 'MB' - STOLEN
    Langster SF 2015
  • drummer_boy
    drummer_boy Posts: 236
    You might also want to evaluate your bike fit. Having lost some weight, you may well be seated differently than before, and bouncing is also a sign of a poor fit.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    What they said but please tell me how to lose a stone a month for four months (if it was the traditional diet-and-exercise way of course).
  • sc0tsman
    sc0tsman Posts: 7
    craker wrote:
    What they said but please tell me how to lose a stone a month for four months (if it was the traditional diet-and-exercise way of course).

Not sure how the OP did this, but i've just lost 3 stones in 3 months - with no change in excercise level (ie still zero)

that was using one of the Diet Delivery companies - (diet Chef)

I've now reached a weight, where i can get back on my bike - and have now just started again

first 6 mile cycle was on saturday after 3 years off my bike
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Good lord, she's back! Welcome back, C.

Are you saying you've not been on a bike for four months? That'd be my knee-jerk reaction to what's changed; I can't really see the weight loss as being the primary culprit (although bloody hell four stone!). Are you on the same bike, tyres, and roads?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Learn to unseat yourself slightly with pedal weight over bumps like Speed humps.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    The Rookie wrote:
    Learn to unseat yourself slightly with pedal weight over bumps like Speed humps.....

What he said, learn some MTB handling skills. Watch some videos and hit a trail or two or take a course.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    You might also want to evaluate your bike fit. Having lost some weight, you may well be seated differently than before, and bouncing is also a sign of a poor fit.
    +1
    bouncing could be a sign that your seat is a smidge to low , if you have lost a lot of weight im guessing your buttock /thigh area is also thinner , the extra weight could have given you extra height if you know what i mean .
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Thanks, guys, for the replies. Will look at my bike fit. I might also lobby the Southwark and Lewisham Councils to lay a new surface on the Old Kent Road - it's in a shocking state.