CK headset installation

munkster
munkster Posts: 819
edited May 2015 in Workshop
So I have acquired a CK headset and now find that I am meant to use a CK headset installation adapter in order to not damage the bearings. Anyone install their own CK headsets and if so what precautions do you take? Is an official CK adapter 100% necessary other than to preserve the warranty? Ta.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Which type headset is it then?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • munkster
    munkster Posts: 819
    Just a regular 1 and 1/8" one...
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    In my limited experience with CK headsets and some research I found that these headsets are a little more finicky than most in that they require the headtube to be precisely faced and reamed or you may have problems with play in the fork. Once this is checked/done I have had good results with just placing a wood block over the the cups and hammering them in. The fork crown race needs to be installed just right as well. It may be less of a headache to just let a shop with the correct tools install it for a small fee. Once installed properly a CK headset will last forever.
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    i fitted one a few weeks back with a standard headset press, seems fine.

i'm guessing the adaptor ensures no load on the bearings during install
  • Captain Fagor
    Captain Fagor Posts: 739
    In my limited experience with CK headsets and some research I found that these headsets are a little more finicky than most in that they require the headtube to be precisely faced and reamed or you may have problems with play in the fork.... The fork crown race needs to be installed just right as well.

The trouble doesn't end with the cups and the races. There's no split ring in the assembly, so (in my case) I had to file paint off the insides of the top cap to get a press fit down the fork steerer tube. If there's space between the two, I think you'd be left with a brand new rattly headset. Never had to touch it since, mind.
  • mikenetic
    mikenetic Posts: 486
    munkster wrote:
    So I have acquired a CK headset and now find that I am meant to use a CK headset installation adapter in order to not damage the bearings. Anyone install their own CK headsets and if so what precautions do you take? Is an official CK adapter 100% necessary other than to preserve the warranty? Ta.

Provided the head tube is correctly reamed and faced then they can be pressed in with a standard headset press. It's not ideal because unlike most headsets the bearings aren't removed from the cups during installation, so you technically could damage them.

However, the bearings are steel and should resist the insertion pressure OK. I've seen it done several times with no issues, but ideally get an LBS with the correct installation adapters to do it.