Tightening chain help please!

donnamuffins
donnamuffins Posts: 3
edited April 2015 in Workshop
Hello,

I am a bit of a newbie trying to do some basic maintenance on my bike.
I am having an issue that I cannot seem to solve and I hope someone will be able to help!

I have a single speed Charge Plug 1 2015 bike, I have been riding with it for a few months and I have noticed the chain is getting a bit loose.
At this point I should tell you that my rear wheel is on a threaded axle with locknuts on the inside (hub side) and bolts on the outside of the dropouts.
No problem, I loosen the two outside bolts, pull the wheel back in the dropouts a little bit and tighten the bolts again. I realised shortly after that the wheel was not aligned anymore and was almost touching the frame. So I tried to do it again but every time I pull the wheel out to get the chain nice and tight (not too tight) the wheel goes towards the right (assuming the bike is upside down).
I obviously understand that as I am pulling the chain on the left side of the wheel (still assuming the bike is upside down) the wheel will be pushed to the other side but is there a way to get it nice and strait?
How is this normally done? Surely there is something I am missing! :oops:
I tried fiddling with the locknuts and bolts but with no luck.

I hope this makes sense!

Thank you

Donna

Comments

• ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Loosen bolts, pull wheel back in dropouts so chain is tensioned (doesn't need to be ridiculously tight so don't over do it). Tighten drive side bolt/nut. Straighten wheel in frame. Tighten non drive side bolt/nut.
  • Thank you Ravey for your reply!
    I'll give that a go. Do I need to touch the lock nuts that are inside the dropouts at all?
    Thanks
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    You could try some chain tensioners on each side.

Google 'BMX chain tensioner' or 'chain tug tensioner'

They will hold the axle in place while you tighten the bolts. And they also stop the chain going slack.

Like this
    dmr-chain-tug-chain-tensioner.jpg
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Loosen hub nuts, jam your left hand between the tyre and seat-tube - roll the bike forward a touch and use a wedging action of your left hand to push the wheel in the right position. Tighten nuts with right hand.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Loosen hub nuts, jam your left hand between the tyre and seat-tube - roll the bike forward a touch and use a wedging action of your left hand to push the wheel in the right position. Tighten nuts with right hand.

this is how i do it, stops the chain going slack as you tighten the wheel. a bit of practice and you'll get it right