Questions about FORKS

nutty-cyclist
nutty-cyclist Posts: 7
edited April 2015 in MTB buying advice
lets me start by saying i own a trek fuel ex 8 2012 which is a frame size large. the bike has 120mm forks and i want to go bigger, i was looking at 140mm. ive been told and ive seen that the jump can break the frame and wreck the geo. im not bothered about the geo. i am wonder has anyone got any reasons to why the frame can break or any proof because so far its just been what people say. ive seen bikes such as the remedy that has a very similar frame with the larger 150mm forks and they ride fine.

Comments

• Trek the frame maker put those forks on as that is what it is built to take if it could take bigger they would put that in the specs. They clearly know what the frame can handle as the manufacturer. If you think you know better however be prepared for some I told you so's and the possibility of having to buy a new frame.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    ive seen bikes such as the remedy that has a very similar frame with the larger 150mm forks and they ride fine.

That is why the Remedy can run a 150mm fork. It looks almost the same but tweaks to the geometry and the tubing means it can handle the extra leverage a longer fork places on the headtube
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The extra leverage from a longer fork can be too much for a lot of frames.
    Frames like the Remedy are designed with extra strength to resist the extra loads.
    It will also ruin the steering and climbing ability of the bike.
    If it rode better with a 140mm fork then Trek would have fitted one. Maybe if you need a bigger fork then you have the wrong bike.
    What's the reason for wanting more suspension? It's not going to turn it in to a hard riding enduro bike