First aid mountain biking questionnaire (Small)

KieranMellon
KieranMellon Posts: 3
edited April 2015 in MTB general
Hello I am a college student and have the task to come up with a design for a new first aid kit that would be carried on someone that mountain bikes. I have a few questions that would help me in my research if you wouldn't mind taking a minute or two to answer some basic questions, Thank you.

http://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/6YI4F/

Comments

• FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Good luck with your questionnaire.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • thank you !
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Done. Good luck.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    All done, good luck.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Done, good luck.

Also congratulations on having from what ive seen the first survey that makes sense and doesnt have conflicting questions!
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You think? What if you never have or never will carry a first aid kit?
  • gt5xcr
    gt5xcr Posts: 77
    Done, good luck
    GT I_DRIVE 5 XCR IN BLUE.

Ride everywhere, To/from work(12hrs work a day/5 days a week) and still the energy to hit the trails.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369

yip that was my issue - I don't carry one so the rest of the questions where irrelavent
  • Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    Done, a sensible survey, written in understandable english
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.
  • bob6397
    bob6397 Posts: 218
    Done.. One of the best survey's I have seen on here as well :)
    Boardman HT Team - Hardtail
    Rose Pro-SL 2000 - Roadie
  • Angus Young
    POAH wrote:

yip that was my issue - I don't carry one so the rest of the questions where irrelavent

And why do you think that this would not be useful information for the OP?
  • poah
    POAH wrote:

There wasn't a "why don't you carry a first aid kit" question.
  • Angus Young
    POAH wrote:
    POAH wrote:

There wasn't a "why don't you carry a first aid kit" question.

But knowing the number of people who don't will be useful. Not sure why really matters that much.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Because no leads you down a blind ally of not being able to answer any questions after. Why might actually matter to the OP, which is why that might actually be a good question to ask.
  • poah
    But knowing the number of people who don't will be useful. Not sure why really matters that much.

because no doesn't give enough information for what the OP is trying to find out about. I could not carry one just becase their don't serve any purpose or because there are none that are actually appropriate
  • Beardface
    cyd190468 wrote:
    I don't carry one, but I answered the rest of the questions in an attempt to explain why I don't carry one. ie any injury that is serious enough to stop me riding home would require a first aid kit that is ridiculously large for mountain biking.

Not necessarily true.. I helped patch a guy up a few weeks ago that had a nasty off, landing on his head (breaking his lid in the process... always a good reminder to wear one!). He was shaken up and had a pretty big wound just above his eye, but my small kit was more than enough to clean the wound, bandage him up, control blood loss and at least get him safely back to the car park.

For clarity too, I walked with him back to the car park, popped him and his bike in my car and took him home, where his other half took him to A&E.

The kit I carry would fit into an inner tube box, so it's not huge by any means. I'd also recommend taking even a basic first aid course.. you never know when you may need it.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Done

Though I had a mate who worked in Mountain rescue who said the best kit he carried was a condom, a roll of duct tape and a roll of clingfilm...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Beardface
    cyd190468 wrote:
    You clean the wound with water from your drink bottle and stop bleeding by applying pressure with your hand and if you dress the wound it will just have to be removed by the A&E staff causing unnecessary pain to the patient. Any trailside open wound that you think needs medical attention is best left open.
    I always have electrolytes in my camelbak bladder, so a sterilised cleaning wipe would be much better than the contents of mine :lol:

This guy came off on a trail about as far away from the car park as possible too, so applying pressure wouldn't have been an option considering I walked him back with my bike and his bike too, so I used a bandage. Head injuries tend to bleed a lot and often look worse than they are and this guy was a new rider so there was a fair bit of panic and shock. Sometimes a dressing is also as much about keeping the injured person at ease as anything else.

Each injury is different though with a lot of different issues to factor in, but I still think it's worthwhile to carry some basic kit.
    ddraver wrote:
    Though I had a mate who worked in Mountain rescue who said the best kit he carried was a condom, a roll of duct tape and a roll of clingfilm...
    I think he may have been lying about his reasons for carrying that kit... :lol::lol:

But seriously I can understand why, that's a great shout.