Side wall repairable?

Paulj700
Paulj700 Posts: 76
edited April 2015 in Workshop
Hi.

On my last ride I noticed what I though was a stone stuck to the side of my tyre. On closer inspection it was a tiny bubble of inner tube protruding through the side wall, no bigger than 5mm. I let out some pressure and managed to ride home another 5 miles or so.

Now I've had a closer look there's a split about 5-6mm long, vertically through the wall. Is this repairable or am I asking for trouble going out on a tyre with a weakness in it. Its a Michelin pro4 SC and only has about 600 miles done on it.

cheers

P

Comments

• trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    edited April 2015
    Def asking for trouble. The hole will inevitably get bigger. I dont think its worth the risk. You wouldn't want to have a blow out whilst cornering at 20+ mph (or any speed for that matter) with cars behind you. If you've never had a blow out before they really arn't fun. They are one of the most terrifying things to experience on a bike.

I wrecked a Veloflex tyre before with only 200 miles on it by hitting a sharp stone. Just put it down to bad luck and accept sh*t happens. At least with a new tyre you can ride in confidence.

If you cut a tyre again whilst out, its a good idea to carry something to line the inside of the tyre with over the hole. Like an old tyre cut into sections or 3 patches/layers of cut up old inner tube.
  • CYCLESPORT1
    CYCLESPORT1 Posts: 471
    NO !
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    Really not worth it. Have you got a turbo you could save the tyre for if you want to get a bit more life out of it (or pass it on to someone who has)?

The best defence against it ever happening again is to buy something like this:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/park-tools-emer ... oot-patch/

Of course the one time you forget to take one with you.....
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I had this happen on some old Pro 3s which i binned as a result.

Its always worth carrying some cut up innertube pieces, tyre pieces, even a foil wrapper etc for problems like this, just so you can patch it & get home safe.

If you do decide to try to repair and get a few more miles out of it make sure you switch it for the back wheel - when it does go bang you don't want that happening to your front tyre.

Although personally i wouldn't risk it and would just replace it.
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    I had something similar with a brand new vittoria corsa a couple of years ago in Mallorca, best patch material I had on me was a book of stamps which did actually get me home! A mate had some of the park tools patches so we fitted one of those in the hope of delaying throwing a brand new tyre away but that only lasted a couple of rides before it started wearing through.

Would always replace the tyre ASAP now....
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Tubeless tyre patches - they're reinforced to withstand the pressure.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I carry a couple of pieces of denim - does the job, I've got one in the rear tyre that's been in there since July last year.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • trailflow
    I know denim is tough if you pull it but would have thought anything sharp like a piece of glass or thorn would go straight through it or am i wrong ?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,255
    3-4 layers of gaffer tape on the inside and happy days
    left the forum March 2023
  • desweller
    trailflow wrote:
    I know denim is tough if you pull it but would have thought anything sharp like a piece of glass or thorn would go straight through it or am i wrong ?

How is that any different to the normal tyre carcass?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • trailflow
    Tyre carcasses are made from nylon or polycotton at more higher densities than denim. And the tread uses a protective liner like kevlar.
  • desweller
    I'm not advicating replacing the whole carcass. Just reinforcing it in one, very, very, teeny, tiny area. It is slightly more vulnerable but (IME) you don't get a shedload of punctures in the one area as a result of doing it this way.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    I had a Pro3 which had a tiny ca5mm slit in just the way described.

Nearly new tyre so loath to bin it, although was worried about consequences of failure.

I patched the inside with a piece of cornflake box, just to stop the tube protruding rather than to protect the tyre, then marked the extent of the hole with a pen - then before every ride I checked it hadn't got any bigger

Well, I say every ride - I had it for at least a year after that, maybe more, eventually I scrapped it as I'd worn out the tread : it never got any worse, never caused me any trouble, so I probably checked it rather less often than I should have as time went on...;)

However, it's your neck, so your decision !
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    bit of gaffer tape will support it, if you persist in getting punctures change the tyre
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    You can get sticky tyre boots which are supposed to be a temporary fix but so long as they stay in place should be as good as new - that said think I'd bin it as the consequences of it not staying in one place could be a sudden blow out. Really though logically anything that is rigid enough to stop the tyre protruding and which will definitely not move or degrade will do wont it - gaffer tape probably not a bad shout or glue something over it.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    trailflow wrote:

The idea is to stop the inner tube bulging out of the cut, not to puncture-proof the area. Most tyre sidewalls are easily punctured anyway. One time I punctured riding a GP4S when a thorn like a javelin went through the sidewall. Nothing ever made it through the tread with the Vectran layer.
  • Paulj700
    Paulj700 Posts: 76
    Thanks for replies. Just a bit miffed that a 30 quid tyre was ruined by such a small split. I've got a spare set of wheels I use for turbo so I recon ill just patch it and slap it on them.

cheers