Mitts

smiley_boy2501
smiley_boy2501 Posts: 126
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
Recommend me some summer gloves!
Had Spesh BG Gel gloves twice now. Comfortable but they wear out and rip after about 6 months!

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    None!
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    I only wear Specialized mitts too. Nothing else fits me as nice, but mine have lasted pretty well.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I was very happy with spesh bg mitts - there were a number of variants, my preference being the ones with the velcro strap. Lasted me a long time too. Last year I bought a pair of Rapha classic mitts at a discount price (leather palms, cloth uppers). They happen to fit me really well and the padding is perfect for me. Wouldn't pay full price, but with discount these are my current favourites.

Peter
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    I'm with Grill. I don't wear any.
  • thefog
    thefog Posts: 197
    Castelli rossa corsa - think you'll get last summers version for around £25 at a few places.
  • Pearl Izumi PRO; Pittards leather palm and a really thin back (available with gel inserts, though I prefer without as my hands can "breathe" better). They're the only mitts I've found that manage both not to whiff like a teenager's trainers yet can still get thrown into the washing machine with my other kit.

I'd hate to think what my palms would look like if I came off and wasn't wearing mitts; I hit the deck summer before last, and apart from a couple of minor scrapes where the road surface managed to make contact through the ventilation holes in the mitts both palms and mitts were remarkably undamaged.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • northpole
    Pearl Izumi PRO; Pittards leather palm and a really thin back (available with gel inserts, though I prefer without as my hands can "breathe" better). They're the only mitts I've found that manage both not to whiff like a teenager's trainers yet can still get thrown into the washing machine with my other kit.

I'd hate to think what my palms would look like if I came off and wasn't wearing mitts; I hit the deck summer before last, and apart from a couple of minor scrapes where the road surface managed to make contact through the ventilation holes in the mitts both palms and mitts were remarkably undamaged.

I'm with C of C re fear of damage if/ when I come off. During the week a middle aged over weight bloke on a Brompton appeared to 'race a set of lights' crossing Farringdon Road. In his efforts he failed to notice a pedestrian smack bang in his way. Nasty collision. I'll bet he wished he'd worn mitts! It made for uncomfortable viewing - first time I've seen a man crawl on hands and knees to the safety of the pavement. So, yep, I'm sticking in the mitts camp!

Clearly I fall into the risk averse camp - saw an old boy yesterday morning riding along Regent Street wearing a red bandana. And nothing else. Amongst other thoughts, the mind boggles what would happen were he to come off!

Peter
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    northpole wrote:
    .....saw an old boy yesterday morning riding along Regent Street wearing a red bandana. And nothing else. Amongst other thoughts, the mind boggles what would happen were he to come off!...
    That must have been pretty uncomfortable on the saddle even if he didn't come off. I never get on the bike without either shorts or tights with a chamois. Are you sure it was a red bandana and nothing else?
  • Ai_1 wrote:
    northpole wrote:
    .....saw an old boy yesterday morning riding along Regent Street wearing a red bandana. And nothing else. Amongst other thoughts, the mind boggles what would happen were he to come off!...
    That must have been pretty uncomfortable on the saddle even if he didn't come off. I never get on the bike without either shorts or tights with a chamois. Are you sure it was a red bandana and nothing else?

Bandanas should be pink.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • northpole
    Ai_1 wrote:
    northpole wrote:

Bandanas should be pink.

Well officer, I guess it coulda been pink - I was trying not to look!!

Peter
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    The Endura Pro Aerogels II's are really good, specially for the money. I have just moved on from some Spesh BG mitts as they were well worn. I liked the Spesh ones (and definitely got my money's worth) but thought I'd try the Endura after being impressed with their Dexter gloves over the winter.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    I use Spesh BG which seem to be lasting OK, my main problem is losing the damn things (I've several single mitts :D )

Might try some gel ones soon, however

Would never ride without something on my hands, as I've had the experience of road rash on my hands and it was sensationally unpleasant

It's just a hill. Get over it.