Cross threaded rear derailleur barrel adjuster

alex222
alex222 Posts: 598
edited April 2015 in Workshop
Have been very stupid and managed to completely unscrew the barrel adjuster on my rear derailleur. Can't get it back in and looking more closely it looks like I have cross threaded the rear derailleur element.

So question is do people think that I will need to buy a new rear derailleur or is it possible a mechanic would be able to rectify the situation?

I'll have to notch this up as another lesson in my path to improved bike maintenance.
Thanks

Comments

• Derailleur bodies are usually made from a relatively soft alloy, so I would think you could re-chase the thread with a suitable tap.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Can you get it some way in at all ? If you can and it will hold a cable ferrule securely, you can add an inline barrel adjuster to the outer cable near the shift lever.
  • alex222
    Thanks for the replies.
    Spent most of last night trying to get it back in, but to no avail.
    Will try and borrow a tap kit off a mate but I think it's probably a lost cause. Fortunately it's on my winter bike so cheaper components.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    See if you can screw the tap in from the back-side to chase-it through
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    a tap could well fix it or as someone else mentioned, you could drill the hole a little wider to accept a ferrule (about 5 to 6mm deep, not all the way through) and use an inline barrel adjuster nearer the handlebars
  • alex222
    dgunthor wrote:
    a tap could well fix it or as someone else mentioned, you could drill the hole a little wider to accept a ferrule (about 5 to 6mm deep, not all the way through) and use an inline barrel adjuster nearer the handlebars
    Unfortunately having asked around no one I know has a tap set. So in the end just ordered a new rear meach, due today.
    Thought that if I buy a tap set my limited skills will probably mean I fail to fix it and waste some more money, plus it means the bike is off the road / turbo trainer for longer. Also I am guessing the cost of taking it to a shop will be as much as a new part would cost.

Have also justified it to myself by upgrading the derailleur from Tiagra to 105 as there was only a £3 difference. Not that I expect to notice any difference
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Alex222 wrote:
    dgunthor wrote:
    Unfortunately having asked around no one I know has a tap set. So in the end just ordered a new rear meach, due today.
    Thought that if I buy a tap set my limited skills will probably mean I fail to fix it and waste some more money, plus it means the bike is off the road / turbo trainer for longer. Also I am guessing the cost of taking it to a shop will be as much as a new part would cost.

Have also justified it to myself by upgrading the derailleur from Tiagra to 105 as there was only a £3 difference. Not that I expect to notice any difference

heaper would be to have put a barrel adjuster in between the shifter and the cable stop. My old Centaur re mech lost the thread of its adjuster ages ago and lasted many thousand more miles just held in place by the outer with adjustments done via the barrel adjuster. Mildly less convenient, that's all!
    Faster than a tent.......