Hub Bearings

nadama
nadama Posts: 12
edited April 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All,

I have just purchased and installed some new enduro bearings in my front hub. This is on my 2013 Stumpjumper fsr Comp Carbon 29er. Everything appeared to go well and looks as it did before, however the wheel seems to stop a little more abruptly now than before. Do bearings need a while to settle in? Have I done something wrong?

Many Thanks.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Fresh bearings packed with grease can take a short while to settle, also more grease means more life but more drag, so it's a trade off!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Or you've not done it right
  • nadama
    nadama Posts: 12
    Thanks for the replies. Ill leave it alone for know then and hopefully it will free up a little. There is no obvious play or anything like that.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Enduro bearings have slightly more drag than normal, but only a tiny amount. They are a bit pointless in hubs, only really worth fitting in part turn applications like linkages. A top quality Koyo or SKF bearing in the hub is just as good and cheaper.
    The enduro bearings have a full set of balls instead of a cage spacing the balls as in a normal bearing. This spreads the wear much better in part turn applications where all the load and wear could be through one or two balls.