TT forks on a road bike?

Vingt-et-un-cc
Vingt-et-un-cc Posts: 8
edited April 2015 in Workshop
Hi,

I'd like to upgrade the forks on my road bike and was looking at Columbus Tusk Air Carbon Forks. Is there an obvious reason not to use TT forks on a road bike (durability, comfort)? I've had a look but haven't come across anything explaining "why not". Has anyone else tried it?

I need some stiffer forks but don't want to break the bank (which rules out Enve, unfortunately). Any recommendations welcome. My frame is titanium, so not the stiffest but I currently have the Columbus Tusk Carbon Road fork, which feels a bit wobbly on corners.

Thanks!

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    No reason to assume TT forks will improve the situation or that they might not. Carbon forks are pretty stiff as is.
    Just out of interest re the handling issue, are you running a stem on the short side by any chance?
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I've never heard of TT forks. They're just normal road forks, surely?
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Someting to consider is the rake of the fork, as it has significant influence on the road handling of the bike.
    For the rest I wouldn't care...
  • Thanks for the posts. To answer all the q's:
    Stem: Good point. Yes, it is 100mm. I did buy a shorter stem when I had a bike fit (previous was 110mm, I think). So yes, a bit shorter.

Rake: I looked and both forks have a 45mm rake, so I wouldn't change that by going for the ones I was looking at.

TT forks: not really sure what the difference is but I think the TT forks have a different profile that makes them more "aero". Probably something that would count against you in cross-winds if you fitted them to a road bike?

If I look at the pro riders then they aren't running TT forks on a road bike so probably no good reason to make the change.

Back to the drawing board...