Wet Tarmac on tyres

shipley
shipley Posts: 549
edited April 2015 in Workshop
Went for a great 70mile ride yesterday. All went well until the last bit when I came around a blind bend on a country lane 2 miles from home.

There were some guys resurfacing the road, right up to the corner, there were no signs and I went through wet newly laid tarmac and then picked up some small chippings. It dried and is still attached to my lovely new vittorios.

I can't get it off and wondered if there was the potential of damage ? I can't imagine it will do anything detrimental but just wondered if anyone knew.

Oh, and I lost 2bolts from my brand new campagnolo chainset too..grrrrrrr

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I went over freshly laid tarmac on the Rourke, soon picking up a load of sticky stones which had a fight with my nice paint job under the front fork. Whats on the tyres will come off, wouldn't worry about that. I used white spirit and rag to clean up the frame.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    Great thanks...I will leave it to wear off. The frame is fine, that was my biggest fear.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    A good citrus degreaser works on tar. I've taken it off tubs, frames and shoes. I'll keep plugging it until I'm dead, but...Park Tool CB2 ChainBrite!
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Diesel, seriously, it melts tar and is used for cleaning tools after laying it. It might not have such a good effect on tyres though. If you do use it clean it off with a degreaser, its slippery stuff.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    I'm not sure I understand the theory but I don't think I'd put diesel on tyres - I was told by a motorcyclist that it soaks into rubber and won't come back out - that's why diesel on roads is a problem where petrol isn't so much.

I wouldn't worry about it - I think it will come off fairly quickly so if it's just the tyres it will be fine.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    k-dog wrote:
    I'm not sure I understand the theory but I don't think I'd put diesel on tyres - I was told by a motorcyclist that it soaks into rubber and won't come back out - that's why diesel on roads is a problem where petrol isn't so much.

I wouldn't worry about it - I think it will come off fairly quickly so if it's just the tyres it will be fine.

Ha , yeah, I just did a bit of research. It does indeed melt tarmac, but also melts rubber. Probably best not to put it on tyres then.... :D