noise somewhere on the rear wheel

seanorawe
seanorawe Posts: 950
edited April 2015 in Workshop
My bike is only a few weeks old, but when you turn the rear wheel and listen carefully, it makes like a sort of rattled rake type of grinding noise???????? best way I can describe. Even if you move the wheel slightly it makes the noise, I had the bike serviced and the wheel was trued. Noise still there. Any ideas?,
Cube Attain SL Disc
Giant CRS 2.0

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You been out in the rain?
  • seanorawe
    keef66 wrote:
    You been out in the rain?

Yeah, Northern Ireland, it always rains. We have had lovely hot weather for the past 4 days. But before that, the weather was very wet.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • keef66
    And I think it's about to be very wet again :( .

I'm thinking your bearings may already starting to suffer from water getting in and starting to corrode. Are they cartridge bearings or cup and cone types? Some hubs have better sealing than others. Ditto some lightweight hubs seem to employ tiny bearings which don't last long at all.

My Shimano wheels have the latter and I whip them out for a clean and relube maybe once a year. The winter bike goes out in the wet quite a lot and I ran the originals for 7 years before treating them to new ball bearings. The rear drive side was a bit rusty last time so I think the seals may be starting to let water in now.

With cartridge bearings once they start to go it's best to fit new ones, preferably better quality / better sealed SKF or similar
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,517
    remove the wheel so that you can narrow it down, if you hold the wheel by the axle you can spin it without the freewheel operating, in this case any noise will be from the hub

if the bearings are dry or damaged you may feel it as the wheel turns

regrease of cup and cone ones is straightforward, some have very poor seals and the grease can soon vanish or get contaminated in bad weather

it's also possible the hub needs adjusting, depends on type
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • seanorawe
    A 5 week old with bearing problems? I took the back wheel off and held the ends of the qr lever , no noise. So I got a rag and held the wheel by the cassette , and the noise came. The noise seems to go away a little when I put pressure on a certain side of the cassette. Could the cassette be loose or is it most likely a bearing problem? Another Thing isn't he bike was purchased through cycle 2 work and the nhs only deal with Halfords so the cycle 2 work people put me in touch with a bianchi dealer in Essex called jd cycles. They accepted the Halfords voucher and shipped the bike to Belfast. So who fixes any under Warrenty repairs?
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,517
    if you literally held it by the qr then it's possible it rotated on the qr rather than wrt the axle (the tube the qr pases through

i've had a brand new wheel that needed adjusting, this is basic mechanical stuff but sometimes things get missed in production/assembly

as a first step i'd take it to the shop and get them to have a look, may be a quick fix
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • keef66
    You need to remove the QR lever completely and hold the ends of the axle.

If the cassette or freehub is loose, any local LBS could tighten it up for you in minutes. You could ask the suppliers if they'll reimburse you; it's got to be cheaper for them than shipping the whole thing back and forth.
  • seanorawe
    Bringing it to Halfords today after work. Hopefully its a basic adjustment, but the mechanic said if its a bearing problem he will clean it out or replace it and they would do it under warranty. Can you tell if its a cup and cone from looking at it on the bike?
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • keef66
    seanorawe wrote:
    Can you tell if its a cup and cone from looking at it on the bike?

Not really. Does it say anything about the wheels / hubs / bearings on Bianchi's website? Do you know what wheels it has?

Edited to add that if your bike is the Via Nirone 7 then Evans' website lists them as 'sealed bearings' which I take to mean cartridge types. So if they are failing they'll just need tapping out and replacing.
  • seanorawe
    keef66 wrote:
    seanorawe wrote:
    Can you tell if its a cup and cone from looking at it on the bike?

Not really. Does it say anything about the wheels / hubs / bearings on Bianchi's website? Do you know what wheels it has?

Edited to add that if your bike is the Via Nirone 7 then Evans' website lists them as 'sealed bearings' which I take to mean cartridge types. So if they are failing they'll just need tapping out and replacing.

Yeah I had a look, they are the Reparto Corse wheels with a sealed bearing. Appreciate the help
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • seanorawe
    So, this morning I had a quick check and the noise is gone????? Is my bike playing a mischievous game with me?
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • keef66
    Maybe it was just a bit of road grit stuck somewhere? Either way, if it's silent now then panic over!