Rider down - Hyde Park Corner - me!

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,099
edited April 2015 in Commuting chat
Oops :oops:

My London commuter has a pair of manky old SPDs on it, which have become rather reluctant to let the foot go. So as I came across to one of the islands, and tried to wrench a foot out, I twisted too much, foot into back wheel, skidded as I turned and over I went. Ow.

Thankfully no serious damage except to my pride; luckily I "fell well", and didn't put an arm out, etc. Many thanks to the two cyclists who came to my rescue and offered help.

The aforementioned SPDs are now heading for the metal recycling bin! :evil:

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Why do you twist your ankle inwards? You're asking for trouble as you could easily put your heel through your spokes.
  • Glad you are OK.

But you twist your heel inwards, towards the back wheel(and not outwards) to release your feet from the cleats?????

Or have I misread what you described?
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Sounds to me like he had to use so much force and movement to get it out, that when it did come out, he had little control over where it went!

I've done similar, managed to wrench my foot out, it went forward, hit the front wheel and popped a spoke!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • secretsam
    elbowloh wrote:
    Sounds to me like he had to use so much force and movement to get it out, that when it did come out, he had little control over where it went!

I've done similar, managed to wrench my foot out, it went forward, hit the front wheel and popped a spoke!

Bingo, in order to get my foot out I was REALLY having to wrench it, twisted it too far and :oops:

I'm not normally that thick, and no, I don't usually twist my foot in, but I was panicking 'cos the pedals have been getting worse and worse...

Anyway, the cuts have scabbed over this morning. They still sting, mind :(

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Did similar in Ruddington village on Tuesday - on the main street and lots of people around to see my less than graceful fall.

Complete sympathy here of course and no giggling going on at all.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • secretsam
    Did similar in Ruddington village on Tuesday - on the main street and lots of people around to see my less than graceful fall.

Complete sympathy here of course and no giggling going on at all.

Giggle all you want, plenty of people saw my humiliation and clumsiness - I was surrounded by cyclists when it happened! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A drop of chain lube on the pedals pivots occasionally works wonders, my M520's were first fitted in 2009.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.