defy 3 or aleez sport

crannman
crannman Posts: 99
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
narrowed down my list I think .......so here goes defy 3 or aleez sport im 55 yrs old not a racing snake ride for fun current bike Carrera virtuoso will be doing rides around 30mile but hoping to build on that also want to explore the peak district and north yorks :D

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Whatever you go for, make sure you get the right size for you. Ideally test ride them both and see which you prefer the feel of. And which you prefer the look of too.

And if hilly terrain is your objective, make sure you do a bit of climbing / descending if possible. Some bikes feel very different when climbing out of the saddle.
  • iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    Well, both are good bikes, but they are slightly different flavours.
    The Allez is more of a race machine with no rack or mudguard mounting options on the frame and is designed to be fairly stiff and is an accomplished race machine that wouldn't look out of place on most start lines with fancier wheels and groupset.
    However, it probably won't have quite as much give in the frame as the Defy and won't have as much clearance to put in much bigger tyres in the future.

The Defy seems more of a fast cruiser which has mudguard mounts, which is a great advantage for most of the year, and is apparently up there with the best alloy frames in terms of reducing shocks from the road.

I would try both and see which fits best and you think you'll enjoy riding more- the Allez can take clip on guards after all, but generally the Defy is more of an all rounder while the Allez is a great choice for those coming into the sport with aspirations of riding fast and racing.
  • CptMuppet
    CptMuppet Posts: 32
    I have the Defy 3 (2014) and its just awesome but I am sure though that if I had Allez I would be saying the same.
    The Defy is extremely comfortable and i just love the look of it. I came from riding an old clunky mountain bike to work to this so riding posture took a while for me to get used to. If you have a chance to go sit on both I would recommend it. Everyone could give you pro's and con's for both but you'll make your own mind up when you get to sit on them.
  • crannman
    thanks for the feedback the giant is top of the list at the moment
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I know it's the top of the range carbon version, but P-R was just won on a Defy...

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/arti ... efy-44135/
  • crannman
    ad a look at evans trade in old bike £75 off trec 1.5 c h2 2015 mmmmmmm the plot thickens
  • crannman
    choice made giant defy 2 pick it up nxt week never thought buying a bike was so hard