Novatec 11 speed freehub - the last cog...

munkster
munkster Posts: 819
edited April 2015 in Workshop
Just swapped a 10 speed freehub for an 11 speed one (Shimano B2 fitment) onto a Novatec hub (this one) and when putting the 11 speed Shimano 105 5800 cassette back on the last cog only vaguely catches on the splines and when tightening the lockring pretty sure it rotated with the lockring.

Now, it shifts "OK" on the stand like this but is that what is meant to happen with that last cog or should there be a definite engagement? We are told that the teeth are lined up "just so" for optimal shifting by our masters at Shimano et al so am mildly concerned there will be excessive wear for example.

(If you are about to reply "if it shifts OK what are you worrying about" please refrain! I am simply asking whether this is the correct order of things. And yes, I do use the smallest cog.) Think that covers it! ;-) :D

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    You may have fallen foul of the non-upgrade status of some Novatec hubs

If you look on this page with the 10/11 speed freehubs listed you will see a disclaimer that states that 10-speed hubs cannot be upgraded by the addition of an 11-speed freehub. (White text on black background in a strap above the freehub types chart.)

Think it's to do with the axle lengths on the 8/9/10 hubs which may explain the problems you are having getting the lockring to engage.

http://www.bdopcycling.com/Wheel%20Part ... 011SPD.asp
  • munkster
    Hmm, interesting thanks. It's not that the lockring doesn't engage, I've nipped it up pretty well and it catches the screw thread. It's that final cog, as I say...

I am familiar with that BDOp page actually which initially put me off trying this, but was assured that this freehub would work with this specific hub.

Many thanks for the reply though, helpful.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    It's not a problem of incompatibility between hub and freehub by the sound of it (have you checked the freehub splines don't bottom on the hub body?)... it sounds like your freehub is not long enough to accomodate the cassette, or the cassette doesn't slide all the way to the end of the splines... or you have used a spacer that shouldn't be there
    left the forum March 2023
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    The length of the axle won't affect the cassette going onto the freehub. If you're not sure take it off and do it again. The last cog doesn't go on very far just make sure it does engage and watch carefully as you tighten the lock ring, maybe mark the last 2 cogs with a marker so you can check it doesn't move. I'd rather do it again and have peace of mind.
  • munkster
    No spacers on there. I re-loaded the cassette and was very delicate with the lockring nipping up and pretty sure it didn't move this time. We are talking half-a-hair's-breadth of engagement with the splines here but I am hoping that the tightness of the lockring will prevent it from slipping? Given how the cassettes chew the rest of the freehub body (ie. they do move a little) it does make me nervous about what it's going to do to the end of the freehub but maybe I should just stop being so awesome and going so damn fast to use that last cog!? ;-)

Will see how it goes, cheers.