Specialized Jett Comp vs Jynx Comp

Liebkuchen
Liebkuchen Posts: 19
edited April 2015 in MTB buying advice
Newcomer to cycling altogether. 35 year old female, 5'3", short body. I want a bike I can learn about MB on. It's more about getting outside and into nature and enjoying riding. Maybe getting into the xc side of things eventually. I'm too risk averse for either technical trails or DH.

After talking to LBS and looking at online reviews, I've narrowed my choice down to Specialized and their Jett Comp (£600) or their Jynx Comp (£440). The Jett Comp seems to have great reviews but I can't find much on the Jynx as it seems pretty new. I won't have the money to replace it completely for at least a couple of years, repairs and replacements aside. LBS will have to order in regardless so won't get a test ride to compare. Both sound great.

As far as I can gather, the major plus of the Jett is that it has 29" wheels vs 27.5" and that it's 4lbs lighter than the Jynx. However, given I could stand to lose 20lbs to get back in tip top shape, I wonder if it's not that big a deal? Will I quickly regret not going for the larger wheels? Or is the £160 price difference better spent on things like clipless pedals and shoes or other upgrades on the cheaper bike?

Ta for any input you can give :)

Comments

• esa2
    esa2 Posts: 44
    My other half is a little bit shorter than you. She got a Myka Disc SE last year with 26inch wheels. There werent any 27.5 at the time and she found 29 rather daunting. 29er is alot of bike underneath you especially when youre short so id be more inclined to go with the 27.5 if I were you.

Also, if youre just starting out dont even consider clipless pedals. Thats something for a year or 2 down the line when youve become more competent riding especially off road IMO.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Wheel size has nothing to do with frame or rider size.

That said I'd be looking at Halfords or Decathlon at that price.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • esa2
    esa2 Posts: 44
    I know but when youre just a little over 5ft its alot of wheel underneath you
  • Thanks to both of you. Yes, the clipless pedals wasn't my idea- I *thought* they weren't for beginners, as the sales guy knew I was. He asked if I'd thought about them and I explained I was a bit hesitant etc but was told that. "once you've gone clipless, you'll never go back." Hmm. A salesman trying to sell a higher spec than I need? And then, of course, I'd need to buy the shoes as well...Who'd have thunk it?

Halford's Carerra Vulcan! How'd I miss it? £360 and 5.2lbs lighter than the Jett. I think I'd dismissed Halfords in the errant belief that the LBS was king...
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    At this price the like of specialized and the other big names tend to be poor, halfords don't always have a good reputation but the bikes are better at this price.