headset help!

itsrob
itsrob Posts: 95
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
I noticed a crack on my mood stretto frame over the weekend.
Moda have been very good and are sending a new frame of the model above at a decent price - the Finale.

I'm trying to get all the gear transferred over asap for the weekend - with LBS
Ive been given the heads up I probably need a new headset, and time is against me so want to try and get hold of one.

FSA sealed integrated Cartridge bearings 1.1/8 upper, lower 1 1/4

I can't seem to be able to translate that into what part to order from somewhere whether its FSA or something else, can somebody help me please?

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I think the Stretto had a 1 1/2 lower so you can't move that across (even if you could you'd have to move the crown race across which might be tough to do).

The Finale is listed as 1.1/8 upper, lower 1 1/4 and needs an integrated headset (frames most often come with one though, are you sure the Finale hasn't come with one somewhere in the box?). So, you can take your pick of integrated headsets that are 1.1/8 upper lower 1 1/4

Here's one example that's an FSA http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fsa-orbit-c-33-acb-headset-no-44e-/rp-prod80062

But, you can get cheaper models, and you are free to pick from any make really, so Cane Creek are common, Hope are good, the list goes on and on.
  • JoostG
    JoostG Posts: 189
    itsrob wrote:
    I noticed a crack on my mood stretto frame over the weekend.
    Moda have been very good and are sending a new frame of the model above at a decent price - the Finale.

I'm trying to get all the gear transferred over asap for the weekend - with LBS
    Ive been given the heads up I probably need a new headset, and time is against me so want to try and get hold of one.

FSA sealed integrated Cartridge bearings 1.1/8 upper, lower 1 1/4

I can't seem to be able to translate that into what part to order from somewhere whether its FSA or something else, can somebody help me please?

Headsets, or more the bearings of headset are always giving an headache..... Integrated means you simply can drop the upper and lower bearing in the frame. What you need to figure out are the dimensions (inner and outer diameter, height and angles) of the 2 different bearings. In most cases you will find that relevant information on the outer side of the bearings. If not you need to grab your caliper. I needed for a Cannondale Caad9 frame for example an upper 1 1/8 bearing: outer 41.8mm, inner 30.2mm, 45x45 degrees, 7mm stack.

It would surprise me if your LBS doesn't have a nice collection of bearings.
  • itsrob
    itsrob Posts: 95
    Thanks Both, Rutland who are sending it up to me have been fabulous and have included a headset.
    headsets did seem to be a nightmare when I was looking it up!