Creaking stem

Mattharrier
Mattharrier Posts: 173
edited May 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
I recently swapped my handlebar for a slightly wider one - not having a torque wrench, I've had to tighten the stem bolts by hand (which according to apparently everyone is actually fine). I went to Coed y Brenin last Thursday, and the following day I noticed a slight creak/tinking sound coming from the stem/handlebar. I'm guessing this is because one or more bolts is either too tight or not tight enough, would this be correct?

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    Not tight enough. Just nip each of them up a touch.
  • katiebob
    katiebob Posts: 208
    My other halfs seat stem clicked and he loosened it which stopped the noise.

Try both! :-)
  • Mattharrier
    Haha, fantastic, thanks for clearing that up :mrgreen:

I'll have a fettle over the weekend and see what helps - it's all valuable experience, right? And everyone needs to experience having their bar fall/snap off, don't they?

But seriously though, thanks.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Don't just go leaning on the bolts, you'll break something. Stem bolts don't need to be very tight frankly. I'd take it all apart, clean everything and start again.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    mine were creaking then I crashed and broke my collar bone - the two are unrelated though, the bolt was loose and I tightened it up and it was fine. done with a torque wrench
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Make sure everything is spotlessly clean, especially the mating surfaces and headset (and spacers) and don't over tighten.
  • Mattharrier
    I've nipped up a couple of bolts slightly, and initial tests suggest the noise has stopped. I'll check again when I get a chance to take the bike out, and if it's still there I'll start again. Thanks again everyone.
  • Mattharrier
    12 mile ride on Sunday, not a click or creak to be heard, so I'm calling that a resounding success. Thanks for the advice all!