Do I Have a bent derailleur?

robthehungrymonkey
robthehungrymonkey Posts: 616
edited April 2015 in Workshop
Hi There,

I've had my bike for a little while bought used (was a bit of a bargain) and has first gen (10 speed) Ultegra Di2.

I've struggled to get the rear to shift as well as it should, in the middle of the cassette it sometimes hesitates changing up the cog, which can be frustrating when climbing for example.

I've obviously gone through adjusting it again and again and it generally seems to work ok on the stand. I came to the conclusion that the hanger must be a bit bent and bought a new one. I went to fit it at the weekend, and (well, I couldn't get the old one off as one of the bolts wouldn't come out) compared the new one and it doesn't appear very bent at all (see pics). Does this mean the derailleur is bent?

New and old hangers:
2015-04-19%2012.04.38.jpg?raw=1

Attempting to show the chainline:
2015-04-23%2010.37.33.jpg?raw=1

Any help would be very much appreciated!
http://www.KOWONO.com - Design-Led home furniture and accessories.

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Its very hard to tell if the RD hanger is bent with out the alignment tool and it doesn't take much for the gear changing performance to suffer. Suggest you either obtain the tool or take to your LBS where they have the tool to check the alignment properly.

I bought the tool a while back and even the hanger on my Rourke was out ever so slightly. Two other club members have since borrowed it - its a really useful tool.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Thanks, maybe a trip to my LBS is in order.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Seeing as you already have a new one, why not just switch it over and see if it improves the shifting?!

It's only two bolts and won't necessitate re-indexing.
  • Seeing as you already have a new one, why not just switch it over and see if it improves the shifting?!

It's only two bolts and won't necessitate re-indexing.

I did go to do that, but one of the allen bolts wouldn't budge and the bolt worn meaning the allen key just turns. An LBS visit to get that out i think.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,025
    Good quality drill and an easyout should do the trick.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • primalcarl
    primalcarl Posts: 579
    drlodge wrote:
    Its very hard to tell if the RD hanger is bent with out the alignment tool and it doesn't take much for the gear changing performance to suffer. Suggest you either obtain the tool or take to your LBS where they have the tool to check the alignment properly.

I bought the tool a while back and even the hanger on my Rourke was out ever so slightly. Two other club members have since borrowed it - its a really useful tool.

What tool did you buy and how much did it cost?

I'm having shifting problems after my rear mech jammed up and broke the hanger off. I've replaced the hanger and mech but gears are all over the place
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava