New decals onto Mavic Carbone SL

The secret rider
The secret rider Posts: 812
edited April 2015 in Workshop
Anyone got any tips or advise for applying new decals to my mavic aero wheels.

They don't come on a curved piece of paper, and they peel of as single letters so fitting them onto the wheels is proving difficult.

Help :shock:

Comments

• dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    normally decals like that have two sides to them, you peel off the back, apply the decal, press down on the front then remove the front.

is this what you have? or do you have the decal with just a backing?
  • dgunthor wrote:
    normally decals like that have two sides to them, you peel off the back, apply the decal, press down on the front then remove the front.

is this what you have? or do you have the decal with just a backing?

the second one. single letters :( ebay ones :(
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    A spray bottle with a washing up liquid/water mix in and a squeegee. Spray the rim/sticker with the washing up/water mix, slide the decals on, move them until they're lined up nicely and squeegee the excess water out.
    Would be worth testing a sticker first to see if the adhesive is rubbish on the eBay ones.
  • Salsa wrote:
    A spray bottle with a washing up liquid/water mix in and a squeegee. Spray the rim/sticker with the washing up/water mix, slide the decals on, move them until they're lined up nicely and squeegee the excess water out.
    Would be worth testing a sticker first to see if the adhesive is rubbish on the eBay ones.

Spray water on them then stick them down ?
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    Soapy water yes, I used to work somewhere where I had to stick stickers onto plastic containers sometimes and they had to be lined up precisely without air bubbles. Spraying soapy water onto both surfaces allowed me to align it all and move position if needed. I'd then squeeze out the water and once it dried the sticker was attached perfectly. You'll just have to test the sticker to see if the adhesive is decent.

If not then the only other way I can think to do it and get them all in position is to cut out each letter and use some tape to stick the top of each in position before pealing away the backing paper and sticking them down.
  • pete.whelan
    pete.whelan Posts: 788
    Anyone got any tips or advise for applying new decals to my mavic aero wheels.

They don't come on a curved piece of paper, and they peel of as single letters so fitting them onto the wheels is proving difficult.

Help :shock:

If they don't have a layer on to, then use masking tape to hold them together as laid out, peel off the back. Use the soapy water as others have suggested.

Risk is that whoever made them may have used a vinyl with a water soluble adhesive and they will peel off in a few months time, unless you only go out on dry days !
    Recipe: shave legs sparingly, rub in embrocation and drizzle with freshly squeezed baby oil.