Canyon Nerve AL frame size - Help please!

KingFraz
KingFraz Posts: 6
edited April 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi folks,

Decided to buy a new cross country full suspension bike: Canyon Nerve AL 6.0. Used the framesize finder on canyons site and it recommends a medium (17.5 inch) frame but my current XC bike (Boardman Team FS 650b) is a 19 inch with 250mm of seatpost already showing. Is Canyons sizing way off or should I go for the size it recommends? Want to fit a reverb post as well, so I'm edging towards the Large frame.
(I am just a smidge under 6ft and have around 33 inch inside leg)

Any help or advice would be extremely helpful!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Do Canyon and Boardman use the same method to measure their frames?

Check that first as many makers use whatever method they want.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • KingFraz
    I've had a look at the geometries for both;
    https://www.canyon.com/en/mountainbikes ... tml?b=3573
    http://www.boardmanbikes.com/mtb/fs_team650b.html

The large Canyon looks the most similar to what I'm on just now in pretty much all aspects; top tube length and crank to seatpost collar are almost identical (canyon is marginally smaller, 12mm and 3mm respectively) and I'm pretty happy with that size to be honest. Medium Nerve is over 40mm shorter crank to seat collar and same again in top tube length, worried it might be a bit on the lean side for all day riding!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Note that the Boardman has an offset seatpost to the Canyon's inline, so you need to add circa 25mm to the effective top tube length, then you need to consider the effect of stem length and handle bar width and any backsweep as well!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    I had a similar issue when getting my Nerve. The site recommended a medium, I went for a large and I'm very glad I did. I'm just over 6ft with a 33" inside leg, and the large is spot on for me.
  • KingFraz
    Stav wrote:
    I had a similar issue when getting my Nerve. The site recommended a medium, I went for a large and I'm very glad I did. I'm just over 6ft with a 33" inside leg, and the large is spot on for me.

Could I be a pain in the arse and ask for a photo of your Nerve set up for you?
  • Beardface
    KingFraz wrote:
    Could I be a pain in the ars* and ask for a photo of your Nerve set up for you?
    No pain at all, the latest is below - The only thing different since then is SLX brakes (and 1x10 after the weekend).
    TaSYnmr.jpg

It's worth noting that from stock, I've changed the forks (140) and put on a 50mm stem & slightly shorter carbon bars (moved from the stock 720mm to 711mm). The first thing I changed was the saddle though, the Selle Italia X1 was like sitting on a bit of wood for me. Charge Spoon all the way :D

This one is pretty much the only one I have from when it was totally standard (apart from superstar grips), if that helps.
    p5fcIyd.jpg
  • KingFraz
    Very nice! Do you find you have enough clearance on trails and descents when you fully drop the saddle?
  • Beardface
    KingFraz wrote:
    Very nice! Do you find you have enough clearance on trails and descents when you fully drop the saddle?

Thanks, I'm really happy with this bike. I have a huge amount of clearance when dropping the saddle, no worries there. I still have the standard post in too(I think it's 400mm), so you could get a shorter seatpost (or cut the post down) and have even more clearance if you found you needed it.

It's a fantastic bike for the money, the 6 is too. Just factor in the delivery cost from Germany (£40 I think) when paying for it.