worn shimano BB after 2000 miles

fatsmoker
fatsmoker Posts: 585
edited April 2015 in Workshop
I had a full Shimano 5800 groupset fitted in December last year. At most, 2000 miles done since then, admittedly in wet winter weather. In the last week or so the bottom bracket has been creaking and today it felt wonky. Should I be disappointed by this, or just accept that the immense power :lol: I put down is going to add to the wear and tear.

Comments

• You need mudguards
  • fatsmoker
    I do, until this morning when the front one cracked and fell off.
  • Depending on your frame (and available cash), you could consider changing to a high-spec MTB-specific BB. As a rule, they tend to be better sealed than road-specific ones.

The other option is to simply consider it a consumable (brand new 5800 BBs are £11.95 on Wiggle) and just buy a new one when they get too grungy.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    just out of curiosity, is this the screw in outboard HT2 cups, of one of Shimanos press-fit BBs?

If I remember rightly, my first 5600 HT2 BB lasted about 3000 miles of year round riding - with mudguards- before it started getting a bit clicky. The replacement Ultegra one seems to have lasted longer.

Wondering how long the pressfit one will last given that it only goes out in nicer weather...
  • fatsmoker
    keef66 wrote:
    just out of curiosity, is this the screw in outboard HT2 cups, of one of Shimanos press-fit BBs?

If I remember rightly, my first 5600 HT2 BB lasted about 3000 miles of year round riding - with mudguards- before it started getting a bit clicky. The replacement Ultegra one seems to have lasted longer.

Wondering how long the pressfit one will last given that it only goes out in nicer weather...

No idea, but I am now a few quid lighter as I took it to the shop to be fixed, along with the rear wheel bearings. Winter has been quite tough on my bike. Starting to think that a dedicated winter bike might be a good idea.