Cheap commuter build - nearly finished.

Myster101
Myster101 Posts: 856
edited April 2015 in Your mountain bikes
Decided to build up a commuter as the NP Mega AM is no good on the roads and cycle paths with the family (surprise, surprise). Managed to get hold of a 2011 Cube LTD (not sure if its a race, team or pro) for decent money and so the build has begun. Have had to rob a few bits of my wife's Carrera for now and just waiting on my rigid Mosso forks to arrive. Progress so far:

20150422_150301_zpsm61bamtz.jpg

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
Ribble 7005 Sportive

Comments

• raldat
    raldat Posts: 242
    Nice, the Mosso aware great for the job, I have them on my Carrera Fury based commuter. I ended up going 1x in hone end. 1x 8 in my case as 8 speed was the kit I had. Not a lot of hills where I live so 1 x was all I needed for the commuter job.
  • Myster101
    Hoping the forks come today or tomorrow as that's all I need now to complete the build. I'm running 3x8 at the moment as robbed them off the wife's Carrera that she no longer uses. Will no doubt change this in the near future after I see how it rides. Looking forward to getting out on it.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My commuter is similar, although it uses a hybrid frame it's in Mosso forks and 26" wheels with disc brakes, I run mine as 1x9 as that suites me, it uses a 12-27 cassette so I can widen the gearing if I need to but right now the spread suites my commute,
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Myster101
    Will probably drop to 1x9 when I find the right crankset. For now I'll see how the 3x8 goes. Looking forward to getting the Mosso forks, cost as much as the frame but get great reviews so had to go for them....look pretty smart too :D

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • raldat
    raldat Posts: 242
    My 1x8 just uses the middle ring of the triple with the outer and inner removed and shorter bolts. I am running a 36 on the front. Right now the old derailleur with all cables removed and the stops wound in is playing role of a chain guide. When this ring wears out I shall go a narrow wide, but as thIs is my commuter that does winter duty in Denmark (think salt and grit), this bike is a budget one designed for the tough conditions. At the back is an 11-32.

I did a full xc ride on it a few weeks back when I lent the good bike (canyon 29 Ht) to a friend visiting from out of town. The rigid 1x8 was surprisingly fun to ride. Very different and slower on fast rough descents but pretty equal elsewhere. Was fun to mix it up.
  • Myster101
    Mosso forks now arrived, very impressed with them. Just waiting on front mech (slx) and have also ordered SLX shifters and a deore 9 speed rear mech. Had a quick blast today, it's surprising how quick you can go on it.

20150428_144027_zpss5e0kuiy.jpg

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive