Gunk degreaser

Mattharrier
Mattharrier Posts: 173
edited April 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
I've recently purchased some Gunk brand gunk to degrease my engine block. Is there any reason I can't use this as a degreaser for my bike? I can't think of anything, but equally I don't want my chain to dissolve :mrgreen:

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So the rollers remain full of degreaser? Not exactly good lubrication.

Just use a non crappy lube. Squirt or similar. Haven't even cleaned, let alone degreased a chain in years.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Ive found squirt doesn't protect a chain in winter on salty roads though (that's on my commuter), it goes orange in all the bits of side plates were the inner and outer rub as they rotate round the sprockets.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    This is a mountain bike section. Commuter forum is over there >>>>>>>>>>>

Fair enough, although it actually does if you apply it every few days, which would be silly.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Both of that ^^^

I resorted to a wetter lube when there was grit
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    On bad days I'm applying chain lube nearly every day..... 15 miles of jet washing (with salty water) off the front wheel takes it's toll on any chain lube.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    Yep. My commute is a more of a mile or so gentle pootle each way.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools