N+1 Planet X or giant?

johngti
johngti Posts: 2,508
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
Currently thinking about my n+1 and a bit stuck on the decision.

Really like the look of the Planet X london road 22 speed rival, currently have a defy composite which I absolutley love so that's always going to be my number 1. So into the mix goes the alu defy 1, I know I'd like that and comfort would be fine.

I'm after a bike for winter basically so mudguard mounts are a must. Also, while I'm never going to be doing any serious off road riding, I'd like to be able to go for the family style rides on gravel tracks etc so cross style tyres might be useful. The london road geometry seems a little more extreme than the defy (in terms of head tube - 2cm shorter than the defy but the top tube is also slightly shorter) but the whole package seems more suited to my needs. I know the defy will be totally comfortable but I have concerns about the gravel path rides.

Has anyone fitted more robust tyres to a defy and used it on tracks or is it a no-brained and the London road is the way to go?

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    The problem with the Alu Defy is that you are limited to 28mm tyres max, without the Defy specific mudguards if you fitted the 5800 105 brake calipers. Not all tyres size up the same, plus rim width will affect tyre profile. With the Defy mudguards 25mm is the max you can go with a smooth road tyre, so for the type of riding you suggest the London Road or something similar does seem the way to go. I thought you already had an Alu Defy 1 John?
  • johngti
    Used to in M/L (wrong size) but sold it to get a defy composite in M size. So I know it's a comfortable bike.

Thinking that the Planet X is the definite answer. Looks like a lot of bike for the money!
  • dj58
    Oh I hadn't realised that you had sold it. Yes the London Road does appear to be getting good reviews and does look like a lot of bike for the money plus discs. Mountain Monster has one,
    viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12998860
  • johngti
    I saw that thread - it certainly looks pretty impressive for the money!

Still impressed that you remembered I had a defy 1 too!
  • gaffer_slow
    gaffer_slow Posts: 417
    i would consider the london road frameset @ 299 and the build up to different spec : shimano 105 hydro + better wheels
  • dj58
    If you have the time, inclination and funds, then yes building your own bike around a frame of your choice can be very satisfying.
  • gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    I have both a composite defy and an alu one I bought specifically for wet weather use.

First problem was couldn't get the Defy specific mudguards any where near my XL frame (they fitted just about to my previous XL Rapid).
    Second problem was/is can't seem to squeeze on anything bigger than a 23mm tyre with current mudguards (think I have Crud RR 2) - really annoying.

So my advice is to go for the Planet X one.
  • johngti
    Yeah it's going to be the Planet X. Just too obvious a choice really!

Now the next thing to decide on is whether I wait for the next round of the cycle to work scheme in September/October and then see what happens if I manage to escape to a different school or just get one anyway!