Garmin 800 accuracy

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 845
edited April 2015 in Road general
Using a Garmin 800 for 2 bikes. 1st bike seemed to be very accurate - 5 mins into the ride it said wheel size found or something like that, but with the 2nd bike added, it hasn't. Assume same setting for both as they are 700c wheels?

Went down a hill the other day and when I looked down, I am pretty sure it clocked 45mph. Got home and uploaded the workout and Strava saying max 36mph. Garmin connect also saying 36.

Likely to be my eyes playing games or does ther Garmin 800 sometimes have hiccups with max speed and distance? Using a cadence sensor which seems to be working correctly.

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    I've never seen mine display a max speed that was different from what is shown in Connect. You might have misread the number.

As you seem to be using speed sensor have you added it to both bike profiles? If you haven't it will be using GPS for speed/distance on the profile it hasn't been added to. That could cause some spikes in the displayed data that may be smoothed out in the log files.
  • andyeb
    andyeb Posts: 407
    A wheel sensor paired with a Garmin will improve the accuracy of both the displayed and recorded speed. It's likely that both Garmin Connect and Strava are applying some smoothing to the data, hence you may see speed values displayed on the Garmin which you don't see when analysing the data, especially if you are running on a bike without a wheel sensor.