What bottom bracket replacement?

roubaixtom
roubaixtom Posts: 316
edited April 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, just wondering what bottom bracket i need to get to replace this? I'm thinking 68mm/113mm. Is that right? Cheers

FullSizeRender_zpsngxklk4v.jpg

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Measure the axle. Can't tell from that.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • roubaixtom
    The axle being the possible 113mm measurement?
  • cooldad
    Yep, the other size is the BB shell width, which you can also measure.

The only other consideration is the taper, which could be JIS or ISO. Most likely JIS but VP website might help.

http://www.vpcomponents.com/newen/produ ... php?id=241
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • roubaixtom
    Also, clearly the drive side came out easily however the non drive side won't come out and is very stiff. Any thoughts?

Cheers
  • roubaixtom
    It measures around 12.3cm
  • bailsofhay
    bailsofhay Posts: 191
    You turning it counter clockwise to remove? Other than that, WD40 wait and then a long breaker bar for leverage.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That will be a 122mm axle then.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    one thread is reversed on bottom brackets, try turning it the other way
  • cooldad
    dgunthor wrote:
    one thread is reversed on bottom brackets, try turning it the other way
    No don't try turning it the other way, just make sure it's the right way before turning.

See post higher up.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bailsofhay
    bailsofhay Posts: 191
    You can see from the pitch direction in the pic that the drive side which was removed is reverse threaded so the non drive is counter clockwise to remove.
  • The Rookie
    Sometimes turning it the 'wrong way' can crack it off allowing it to be undone, just don't tighten it too much!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    The Rookie wrote:
    Sometimes turning it the 'wrong way' can crack it off allowing it to be undone, just don't tighten it too much!
    If done knowingly, yes. Not just randomly trying each way and hoping for the best.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • roubaixtom
    It has a lock ring that i believe needs a C wrench to undo it. Do i need to undo that before using the bottom bracket removal tool?
  • The Rookie
    Yes! Otherwise it's locked in place by the...erm....lockring! Just use a hammer and screwdriver.
  • roubaixtom
    Ok and the lockring also loosens anti clockwise?
  • The Rookie
    It's on the same thread, so yes.